Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Wisconsin Collector Plates

Wisconsin has both collector plates and hobbyist plates. Your car must be at least 20 years old. Collector plates are for cars with substantially original bodywork, while hobbyist plates are for modified cars. The charge is $150 per car, plus a $50 application fee, payable only once no matter how many collector cars you subsequently register. It's a non-expiring plate, so no annual renewal is required. Annual fee for a regular car is $75, so if you're keeping your collector car for more than two years you're good to go. The only restrictions are that you must have a daily driver registered with the state and that you cannot operate your vehicle during the month of January without purchasing a temporary permit. Cost for a temp plate is $3.00. Since we're often snowbound in January anyway, that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I got "historic" plates...with which you can register "Antique" or "Classic" in Texas if over 25 yrs...
and I lucked out since the 74 plates in Texas had red script (then they changed every year in the color, green, blue ,red, black) and its matching my car color!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I have historic plates for my '76 Spider and the neat thing in KY is that one can display a different plate as long as the historic one is in the car. The ALFA plate is an older vanity plate but now I need to decide if I want to do the same thing for the '91 spider since it is now also historic plate eligible.

...i was just curious, how many spider owners have historic plates?

i am located in NJ.

thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
In Georgia. If you have a 1970 or older car and a tag from Georgia of the same year thats in good shape. You can have it registered to the car. As Ironblock said we no longer have the historic tag but we do have an antique tag which is uglier then the regular state tag and cost more.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
does anyone know what the QQ stands for and why you must have it on the NJ historic plates?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had read that the Guy who introduced the idea to the DMV in NJ said it was 2 eyes "Looking" at the car!!!

Another said it was just how the letters fell when NJ decided to make the plates. QQ cars Q Motorcycles..

rob

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
License plates

Blue plate Oregon license. The Spider sports the original plates while the GTV plates were from a friend who unfortunately total his Spider. Both plates came from the same dealership in Portland, the legendary Rambo Motors.
Cheers, Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
lgbalfa - DMV send the plates yet? I was in Oakland a couple of weeks ago for my new drivers license and they were very efficient. Home to DMV and home in an hour. Hope their mail service is equally improved.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Connecticut had the worst antique/historic plates I'd ever seen. Black letters on a white field with a silhouette of a Model A "horseless carriage" in one corner and a tag line "early American" on the bottom, which don't really apply Alfas. Hideous but you got a tax break. Now they've changed to a black on white "Classic Vehicle" tag. A little better. I kept my original vanity tag. I like the color better and I don't have to pay yet another fee to switch it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
lgbalfa - DMV send the plates yet? I was in Oakland a couple of weeks ago for my new drivers license and they were very efficient. Home to DMV and home in an hour. Hope their mail service is equally improved.
i think by the time that i sent the application out until the time that they arrived - it took only about 10 days.

extremely fast.

if you want vanity historic plates, that will take approximately 6-8 weeks i was told.

i just installed them today.

you cannot see the "historic" at the bottom because it is covered up by the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm still for having an actual 'real' historic plate that was saved, reissued, and from the year of my car. (And sold to me!)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
i think by the time i sent the application out until the time that they arrived - it took only about 10 days.

extremely fast.

if you want vanity historic plates, that will take approximately 6-8 weeks i was told.

you cannot see the "historic" at the bottom because it is covered up by the frame.
You got a plate that says "Historic" and then covered the word "Historic" by a plate frame?!

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is my NC plate. But I have to have a "real" current plate in the trunk. The law says that I much show the real plate to anybody that asks to see it. So if a 12 year old on a skate board stops and asks to see the plate in the trunk I have to turn off the engine and get out and open the trunk so he won't call the cops on me.:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is my NC plate. But I have to have a "real" current plate in the trunk. The law says that I much show the real plate to anybody that asks to see it. So if a 12 year old on a skate board stops and asks to see the plate in the trunk I have to turn off the engine and get out and open the trunk so he won't call the cops on me.:wink2:
i like that plate better than the NJ historic ones.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The Montreal wears an original Montreal Expo '67 tag from when the car was first shown at the "Worlds Fair" in Canada. I didn't realize that this tag was used on the front of cars in Canada and they had a different rear plate (boring with mostly big numbers). The 'legal tag' is under the passenger floor mat.

IMAG1300.jpg

The GA antique car tags are fugly; with a little Model 'T' -great if you have one of those...

Mark

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
i think by the time that i sent the application out until the time that they arrived - it took only about 10 days.

extremely fast.

I am still trying to find a thin license plate frame with "Alfa Romeo" on it at the bottom that does not cover the "historic" .

I have looked everywhere and cannot find anything.

Anyone know where I can find one?!

Thanks

21 - 40 of 44 Posts