Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
My poor Berlina has to live outdoors occasionally and it shows.

I did find some generic lightweight but waterproof covers on Amazon. They are generic fit but stay on well.

Premium Member
I've had and used a car cover on every Alfa I've ever owned, sometimes even when stored in the garage. sure helps retain the paint. Even the LS I just sold (sob) still has the original champagne colored paint and clear coat in fine condition.

Reactions: SamSteinig

Premium Member
Only one of our 7 cars gets to live in the shed/garage, so the rest stay outside. Which isn't so bad here in Santa Barbara, but we live within a mile of the ocean so we get the salty marine layer dew on the cars most mornings, which does eventually take its toll in the form of rust bubbles around windshield trims.

The only problem with leaving cars under covers long-term is that any moisture that does get in and under the car can't get out. I learned this the hard way a few years ago---I left my BMW 2002tii (which was already partly disassembled for some rust repair) under a car cover and a tarp in top of that, because we were expecting a couple of weeks of rainstorms. When I got back, I couldn't believe the corrosion of all of the underhood fasteners, etc.

It would be a good idea to pull the cover off on sunny days to let the car dry out (not sure how often that happens in the snow belt!)

Registered
I have a 2 car garage and it is full so the other 7 sit outside year round here in Ohio with decent car covers on but being kinda in a country setting I worry more about the mice than the elements.

Administrator
When we lived in Sydney we would occasionally see these temporary tent like car garages. Unless your council gets upset, I think these would be considerably better than any car cover ... ?
Pete

Registered
You can get these here at harbor freight but they still leave the ground open underneath the vehicle plus the footprint is kinda large compared to a car cover.

Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
I live in Southern CA, and-- while we have a gate driveway (thank heavens), we don't have a garage. I have used both a sunscreen from CoverCraft as well as CoverCraft car covers on everything, and I've been really pleased with the protection. You definitely need to choose the material wisely, but the fit is perfect, and they've done a wonderful job of protecting the car from UV and any rain/water.

Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
Well. Northeast USA here. Snow and summer stupid humidity are a must.
Saying that, desperately looking for a garage nearby cause mine stays in a friend's lot.
I used the top knotch from carcovers.com and it sucks big time. It is not waterproof like stated. After a soaking summer storm water got in and stayed on the roof. Then the extreme heat cooked the remaking of my 36 year old paint leaving it all stained.
I now have sealskincovers. Actually 100 % waterproof. But fitting could be better.
Little short in length.

Registered
what do people do about dust being blown up under the cover and onto the paint? Mine had a short stint under a cover (waterproof, nice but not perfect fit) and when I took it off after some windy weather I was alarmed at the dust - it must be abrasive and not good for long term storage.

Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has 'gust straps' that keep it tight against the car, (hopefully) preventing dust and detritus from getting under the cover. My paint is old so I don't worry too.much about the dust

Registered
Well. Northeast USA here. Snow and summer stupid humidity are a must.
Saying that, desperately looking for a garage nearby cause mine stays in a friend's lot.
I used the top knotch from carcovers.com and it sucks big time. It is not waterproof like stated. After a soaking summer storm water got in and stayed on the roof. Then the extreme heat cooked the remaking of my 36 year old paint leaving it all stained.
I now have sealskincovers. Actually 100 % waterproof. But fitting could be better.
Little short in length.
Here, west of Boston, its tough to live with just car covers. After an Alfetta joined my Milano in the driveway this year, I have succumbed to renting winter storage (my two car garage can not accommodate three classic cars). I need to find a shop to rent or buy. Anyone have Alfa storage or shop space in Eastern Massachusetts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts