Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I do find this a little urksome; however i am duty bound to inform you that we do now have a proper white wall tyre for your cars

for a while we have been able to have a white wall built into quyality tyres such as Pirelli and Michelin, which was not cheap, but we were confident of the quality. I hate white wall flaps, they are a constant source of trouble. But these are actually a proper white wall all built by Michelin in a Michelin factory, and the quality is of course excellent, because it is Michelin.

Personally i cant abide the idea of fitting white wall tyres on European Sports cars. However that is just me. I realise i am a pompous opinionated Englishman. The 2 things that loose me the most customers telling people "fitting wide tyres on rear wheel drive classic sports cars is a misguided mistake made by cowards", and making similarly scathing remarks about white wall tyres on classic European cars. However that is just the way i am and i can't see anything changing in the near future.

SET OF 4.jpg

·
Push hard and live
11,014 Posts
Maybe for an Arno? Or a type 102 Sedan?

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Personally i cant abide the idea of fitting white wall tyres on European Sports cars. However that is just me.
No, it isn't just you. Count me on your side as well!

..... telling people "fitting wide tyres on rear wheel drive classic sports cars is a misguided mistake made by cowards",
You could fill your spare time expressing that sentiment in the many BB threads with titles like: "Would I be better off putting 205 or 255 tires on my vintage Alfa?".

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I remember reading in a vintage Road & Track that two things real sports car guys looked down at were:

- a sports car fitted with mud flaps
or
- a sports car fitted with whitewall tires.

I may have seen Alfas in the 70s with the then popular tires with a thin white stripe, or white letters. Red stripes were reserved for TR6s.

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
I remember reading in a vintage Road & Track that two things real sports car guys looked down at were:
- a sports car fitted with mud flaps
or
- a sports car fitted with whitewall tires.
How 'bout automatic transmissions?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
How 'bout automatic transmissions?
Sportscars with automatic transmissions didn't exist in the 50s. The early Corvettes were not accepted as sports cars because of the Powerglide slush box.
Heck, the Porsche guys even lamented the introduction of synchronized gears as being a step down from real driving.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Dougal,

You are going to get in trouble for posting an ad in the model forum ... just warning you

Admin Pete

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
Dougal,

You are going to get in trouble for posting an ad in the model forum ... just warning you

Admin Pete
Yech. This is not an ad -- just information about what is for sale somewhere.

I used to be moderator myself -- and had to take a lot of abuse because of it. I'm of the opinion that these arbitrary restriction policies may become the final nail in the coffin of AlfaBB. I probably could go back and find messages from 10-15 years ago where I argued that (a) there should be classified sub-forums in each model forum, and (b) that moderators, admins, etc should have separate user-ids for performing maintenance work. In the end, I gave up on trying to save AlfaBB.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Yech. This is not an ad -- just information about what is for sale somewhere.

I used to be moderator myself -- and had to take a lot of abuse because of it. I'm of the opinion that these arbitrary restriction policies may become the final nail in the coffin of AlfaBB. I probably could go back and find messages from 10-15 years ago where I argued that (a) there should be classified sub-forums in each model forum, and (b) that moderators, admins, etc should have separate user-ids for performing maintenance work. In the end, I gave up on trying to save AlfaBB.
Ruedi,

I agree and I have made my objection to this new "if it is an ad it needs to be in the right place direction" known. It is not us being helpful, which is the main purpose of this site, to help each other
Pete

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
An ad is something that offers a good in view of a commercial transaction. Does anybody really believe that an Alfa owner is going to exchange money for a set of whitewall tires ?

Dougal's post does not fit the description.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like to be helpful, while at the same time provocative.

i truly and deeply apologise for posting someting offering a white wall tyre for an Alfa, i can feel my skin crawling at the thought.

I very nearly bought an Alfa Giulia Spider the other day. I will do soon and when i do i might fit white walls then paint them black. Was that Rolling Stones song about white wall tyres.

here is some tyre safety while i am beiong corporate.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Mad Englishmen ... lol

Pete

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
If the white wall tires were the only tires available or maybe 50% off, I suspect that you could install them with the white walls facing inside where they don't show.

I remember seeing a 289 Cobra in SCM with white walls -killed it for me...

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts