Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
my 2000 Berlina smokes badly from the exhaust whenever I step hard on the brake and keep the pedal down.

The smoke is white, thick and disappears quickly; not as quickly as condensation, but quickier than engine oil smoke. It reminds me of one of those electronic cigarette smoke. Also, it hasn't the typical smell of burnt engine oil, and this makes me think about brake fluid (which contains glycol, which is exactly what the e-cig fluid is made of).

Also, the brake pedal "pulses" against my foot, and a noise like air or gas pressure escaping from somewhere - z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z - is audible every two turns of the crank, in sync with the pulse.

What can it be?

1) A bad brake master cylinder leaking oil inside the servo and then inside the engine through the servo vacuum hose?

2) A bad servo?

3) Both?

Also, I suspect one or more valves out of specs, since I hear a ticking noise coming from the top of the engine. I didn't check it yet, though. Can this play any role in the scenario?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Brake Master is leaking into vacuum unit. The fluid gets sucked in the intake and wah la white smoke!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, I'll check as soon as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts