Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife ask what I had planned for today and now I have an answer - water pump and timing belt change on Tra's 92 164L. water pump bearing and seal gone but his buddy poured in some kind of stop leak stuff that turned everthing in front of engine WHITE. I used pressure washer to flush out engine, coolant tank and radiator as best as I could. I tried to pressure wash timing belt covers, front of engine, subframe and yada yada yada with very little success.

To get even with Tra I have him out pressure washing my driveway to remove residue from his car and mildew from my driveway as I eat lunch.

I just ordered another spare water pump and timing belt to replace the ones we are going to use on his car.

This is the 164L that has plagued me since I sold the lawyer who bought it new a tranny years ago. I have talked about this car over many posts.

Tra's has it up for sale as two 164s in one lamily is too much for his wife. She just broke the outer drivier's door handle on her's today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
White-out

Ahead three steps and back 2. Got it al back together and ended up with about 3 coolant leaks:
1. Same hose as Curt the lower short hose to bottom pump housing and to steel tube so both ends (installing new hose tomorrow)
2. the freaking came with pump paper gasket between pump top and lower housing (probably will install better black gasket one or Alfa OEM upgraded steel one like used on 24v).

Installed new pump, new timing belt and good mechnical tensioner and timing was spot on before and after.

Lesson learned here I installed rebuilt heads and new timing belt about 5-6 months ago. I should have installed new water pump like I insisted that Curt do on his head replacement job.

I put Tra to work PWing my driveway while I worked on his 164 after his car made a mess of my driveway.

His "buddy" put some kind of stop leak. leak check stuff in his cooling system and it painted front end of engine and engine bay aea white. I got some of it off with pressure washer but not much. whatever it is/was it made a real mess.

Bearing and shaft seal were shot in old water pump.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes it really is a white 164L

Here are some pix of it.

the last two pix shows his thermostat poppet minus the neoprene seal. I guess the poppet seal went into the radiator.

Spare thermostat shows what the seal looks like when still on poppet

Earlier stainless steel poppet shown on the left of one picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
"Stop leak." Ugh. Imagine what the insides of the water jackets look like.

I'd NEVER put that . . . ah . . . stuff, anywhere in an engine or A/C system. Maybe in the power steering as long as I was resigned to a rebuild when it didn't work.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Some stop leak is ok. For instance, Alfa recommends Alumiseal I think. I carry a tube of it in my cars. I've never seen coolant stop leak make a mess like the above though.

Lucas steering system stop leak does seem to work, at least for a while. I ended up with a leak of some kind (nothing on the ground, probably collecting in the boots) in the steering system in my 91S, and tried a bottle of that Lucas stuff. So far, no loss of fluid, and the steering is just fine.

BTW, every time I see the engine in an East Coast car, I marvel at the amount of corrosion/rust, etc, seen on some of the engines. Just not used to seeing that.

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fixed and gone

Had to replace bad paper gasket on top of new pump with good black OEM style one I had one left in stock which I should have used in the first place. Decided against using new style steel one because of pitting in sealing surface of old lower housing.

System pressure test good at 13 psi and was still holding after my 30 minute breakfast and read the paper.

Had to sell him a outer L/F door handle for his wife's 164, too. Getting real short on spares now.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts