Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am considering (only due to the fact I can get my hands on either set!) updating the 14inch wheels on my 75 TS from the standard Benzoni/BWA to either,

.Ronal A1 replicas - 15x7, ET25

(Note: Replica set that are currently available from a number of outlets)

or

.Benzoni/BWA - 15x6, ET30

(Note: An original set that would need blast,repaint)

They both look fairly similar once rubber is fitted in the offset department. Hard to work out how far out they sit visually.

Thoughts on either? strength, durability etc. They are for a predominantly road car that may do the odd track day.

Picked a couple of pics off the net to illustrate.

Cheers,

Paul.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sweet looking Milano Verde. I’d be going with the lighter wheels.

The A1 replicas look so nice. I would check the weight and some are not really high quality, Alfa9 has this wheel if you call Matt. Great for a 205/50 tire.

The Benzoni “teledial” wheels have more offset versus the speedline versions. Nice. Great for a 195/55 tire (can do 205/50).

Cant go wrong with either one but if you want an original Alfa wheel it’s the Benzoni, while I prefer the A1 (the original A1 were Alfa Accesories and have the Alfa Romeo script as well as Ronal markings on the wheel center).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well, the factory 3 litre 75/Milano wheels are way too heavy for what they are.
I don't have the numbers anymore, but the factory Alfa wheel/tyre combination is heavier than significantly larger Series 6 (FD3S) Mazda RX7 16x8 rim with a 225/50/16 tyre.
And that was measured on scales and not just some guess.
The Alfa wheel/tyre was about 1kg heavier, from memory.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For the same money when everything is settled, I'd have the Ronal replicas.

I currently have Benzoni phone dials that I refinished. They look awesome, but wow, are they heavy. Every year I think about ordering a set of Ronals.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am thinking about ordering a set of the reproduction A1 as well. I am currently using a set of early gtv6 campy wheels which are super light (the “electron” magnesium alloy) but are prone to becoming brittle if not maintained.

·
Registered
869 Posts
@PSk Pete - the OEM 6x15 are not boat anchors LOL. For a stock or near stock car they work just fine with 195 or 205 tire sizes. But @Duk is correct they are not light nor particularly strong given their relatively modest dimensions. As you know a gtv6 or Milano with stock shocks is sensitive to wheel/tire weight. The Campy elecktron alloy wheels that were on the 81-82 gtv6 are much lighter. I use them on my Milano.

I would prefer the 15x7 A1 reproduction wheels using 205 tires as long as they are not too heavy. That’s why I suggested checking wheel weight, although acknowledge that for a stock street car it is probably not that important if they are under 15-16lbs/wheel.

Reactions: PSk

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I've got the Ronal A-1 reps with the graphite centers on my bianco argento Milano and have been pleased with them. I like the contrast of the graphite centers with the silver body.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would go with the modern reproduction wheels. You never know the history of older wheels if they have been curbed heavily and repaired poorly.

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
519 Posts
Ronal reps, for sure. Gotta love that "dish" and the better fitment.

Used wheels are always a risk, I've had little luck in that department lately.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like the Ronals too, have em on one of my 75s.

However a 75 steering feels the nicest with the original 14" speedlines in my opinion. Unfortunately I cant fit my brakes in those wheels....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments Gents..... i think i knew the answer before i asked the question but I think i'll be going for the Ronal reps...

As mentioned, old rims are a lottery (need refinishing too) and are already 30 odd years old. I think the Ronals look great (and look easier to keep clean!).

I have a silver colored 75 TS (the lighter silver like in post #8) and i really like the darker centre and the fact they have the 'polished' rim/lip. I wish they did that in the
all grey/silver set.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

Reactions: Peter A
1 - 15 of 15 Posts