Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title's the question. " Which way does an Alfa 1600 motor turn". I'm taking the crank in to have it polished.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Industry standard states left and right on a motor vehicle are ALWAYS referred to from the drivers seated position (ie from the rear of the vehicle). So the engine turns anti-clockwise.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Darren, and Jim. The motor is out of the car, and apart, and for the life of me I couldn't remember. Do all motor vehicle engines turn clockwise looking at the crank from the front of the motor.

·
Premium Member
22,148 Posts
You can usually tell and engine's rotation by looking at the cam chain/belt tensioner. The tensioner is on the "slack" or "back" side of the crank's pulling power on the chain/belt, if that makes sense. On a four-cyl Alfa, the tensioner is on the intake side, so the chain is moving upwards there, being pulled downwards on the exhaust side by the crank.
With a chain-driven intermediate gear, crank, idler, cams all turn the same direction. On cars with an idler gear, cams can turn backwards (MGA Twin Cam) from crank.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
Some of the ski natique pleasurecraft 351's run backwards and the only difference is the camshaft and starter.
Generally the rotation is denoted at the flywheel so a RightHand engine turns anticlockwise looking at the fan and a Lefthand engine turns clockwise looking at the fan

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Industry standard states left and right on a motor vehicle are ALWAYS referred to from the drivers seated position (ie from the rear of the vehicle). So the engine turns anti-clockwise.

So, looking forward from the drivers seat means that the engine turn to the LEFT? The fact that this happens is undboutedly a legacy of Italian government's long ownership of Alfa coupled with the fact that our cars were built by members communist labor unions. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts