Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys. Its going to be time to change tyres on my gtv2.0 . It now rides on stock 195-60R15 BWAs(same as gtv6, 15*6 rims). I want to upgrade the tyres to 205 and I have two choices and don´t know which one to chose. Pretenders are Sumitomo HTR200 (205-50R15) and Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (205-55R15). Please any suggestions?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
Never tried the Dunlops. Had the Sumitomos and they were decent, especially for the price.

The 205-55/15s are going to be closer to stock diameter...50 series will be off by 5%. In the 55s you can get the Yokohama AVS ES100 which is quite a good tire.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Funny, I believe Sumitomo owns (or owned) Dunlop.

I've used the Dunlops and they were good, actually better than I expected. I can also recommend the Toyo T1-R in the 205/55-15 size as being a great street/occasional track tire.

Joe

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. But these are the cheapest tyres I have found here in Peru, the others you suggest are not in stock here. The range of tyres here is quite limited.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You´re right Tom, Alfas are rare here. But there were some 80s models, (alfetta sedan, gtv2.0, giulietta sedan, alfasud TI, alfasud sprint veloce, and finger counted gtv6 and 33), very little of these cars survive or they are in not careful owner´s hands, so these have great mods, generally AWful. And we chave a pretty good number of 90s (33, 145/146, 155, gtv, 164 and 1 spider, around five 156 and now that Alfa has returned I´ve seen Brera, 159 and 147ti!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... and now that Alfa has returned I´ve seen Brera, 159 and 124ti!
Not to hijack your thread, Ennio, but I hope that people notice this...

Anyway, on topic: The one thing I've liked about the Dunlops is that they resist punctures very well. (Much better than Michellins and Pirellis.) I have had 4 sets of Dunlops, and have been pleased with all of them. I've never had Sumitomos.

Best regards,

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe JoeCab is correct - Sumitomo owns Dunlop.

I can give you my experience with Sumi's: The rear tires on my 993 were nearly worn out and I had also been reading rave reviews about Sumi's on a p-car forum. When I checked the price of just two Bridgestone SO2 rears they were more than the cost of 4 new Sumi's, so I decided to take a chance on them and buy the HRT Z III's, so my experience is specific to them. I've put about 1500 miles on them and have been completely satisfied - first, you can't beat the price; second, their dry and wet performance is great - they seem to perform just as well as the SO2's. Unless you track your car and actually push your car to the limit you won't notice any compromise in handling - they seem to perform as well as
SO2's or Michelin Pilot Sports; third, they have a much quieter ride than my previous SO2's; and lastly, they are reported to to give much longer life. I got about 14,000 miles out of my SO2 rears (more than most 993 owners get out of them) and I've talked to other 993 owners who are at 15,000 mile on the Sumi with little noticible tread wear.

I've liked them so much that when the 360 needed tires (same situation: rear PilotSports worn out) I decided to risk being excommunicated from the Ferrari Club of America and give the Sumi's a try on the f-car given how impressed I was with them on the 993. My experience on the 360 has been the same - fantastic tires. Quiet, great wet/dry handling, and hoping for longer tread life. I've only put about 800 miles on the sumi's on the 360.

Regarding Alfa Romeo: My '91 Spider needs tires and come Spring I'm planning on putting a set of Sumi's on it too. The smaller size means using something different than the HRT Z III's but I figure if they can make a wide, low profile high performance tire they can probably handle making a smaller 195/60 X 15 tire. I don't recall the specific model Sumi makes in that size (HTR, I think) but I checked and they're only about $50 each - if they're as good as their high performance tires, it's a bargain.

I have read that Sumitomo is trying to gain a foothold in the US and this may be why their tires are priced so competitively. However, I don't know if this is fact or fiction. Regardless, their tires seem to offer incredible value for the money.

Cheers. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts