Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Trying to prioritize what to do first on my car.

Should I replace my OVS first or my exhaust? The car is starting to backfire more through the many holes in the exhaust, and the OVS is not functioning at all.

Which should I do first??

Thanks,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,103 Posts
Jeff,

On the OVS, what do you mean by "not functioning"? They can rust to the point of getting holes, at which point they need to be replaced. But if it's just plugged up you may be able to fix it with a good cleaning.

I usually spray some intake cleaner through it for a while and then fill it with degreaser and let it soak. A few iterations of this with a lot of sloshing and you might be able to free it up. Rinse it clean and blow the innards dry with compressed air before reinstalling.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On mine the place where the oil return line goes (the line from the OVS to the dipstick) is missing. Must have rusted off or something? It is also quite clogged so no oil is coming out of it anyway..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had good luck patching leaky exhausts with furnace cement. It can even be used on cracked manifolds.

$5 buys more than you could ever use from your local hardware store.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got quite a few holes in my exhaust - in the mufflers, in the pipes - I think its the original exhaust.

I'm sort of thinking of taking it to my local muffler shop who sells magnaflow parts and see if they can weld a custom system together for less than the cost of buying one already made.

Any thoughts on that??

·
Registered
what part?
10,245 Posts
i made my own ovs, it made a world off diff. smoother running.. i cut the old one aprt, nothing but rust and srapnel..just for kicks, i run clear vinel tubing from the ovs to the dipstick area..i can see that it works better..the old rubber tube, well ws crap.. with the clear vinel tube i can check the condtion of the ovs return oil , just by looking.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Local muffler shop wanted 800 to recreate the magnaflow system.

I guess I really will just get the stock system and a new OVS..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts