Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are (at least) two different rear T-bars for the 105 series cars. The early ones - like my Duetto is made of two steel tubes with a center casting. Later ones are a single piece casting (or forging?).

Anybody know of the differences? I'm especially interested in any weight difference.

Thanks
Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
There are (at least) two different rear T-bars for the 105 series cars. The early ones - like my Duetto is made of two steel tubes with a center casting. Later ones are a single piece casting (or forging?). Anybody know of the differences? I'm especially interested in any weight difference.
I would guess that the design with two steel tubes + a center casting is lighter, though I can't cite relative weights. My guess is that Alfa changed to the one piece design because it was cheaper to manufacture - despite its increased weight.

The two can be interchanged - the chassis and differential mounting points are the same.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally the later (1750 and especially 2L) cars got heavier and stronger. The sheet metal got thicker with experience; the front lower arms got 4 bolts from 2; the drive shaft got larger and heavier, as did the LSD and axles.

So I wouldn't doubt that the forged T-bar is heavier and maybe stronger. But I'd still like data.....

Robert

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You know there is lightweight Aluminium units readily available - right ?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
aluminum T-bar by PACE

The aluminum T-bar I've seen weighs 9.0 pounds. That includes the three nylon bushings.
FYI.
Someone else will have to provide the weight of the stock T-bar.
Richard B.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Casting steel T-bar(new) is about 7.5kg without bushes, older modell is about 6.9kg. Bushes with housings are about 0.8kg/pair.
As said both modells share the same geometry and mounting points so they are interchangeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts