Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires on my '74 spider but I want to ditch the turbines for a set of steal wheels with the sombrero center caps because I like the look. I have been searching around for a thread that explains which steel wheels fit the 105. Anything pit falls to watch out for, i'm trying to avoid buying a set of Alfa steel wheels only to find that they are not compatible with the 105 spiders. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What you are describing are the OEM steel wheels which came on Graduate models. They will fit any Alfa spider S2, S3, and S4 regardless of year, to the best of my knowledge. I just bought one to use as a spare on my 88 quad since the quad now carries Superlites and I only had a Ford Focus mini wheel as a spare. The Superlites and the Gaduate spare are carrying 185/70R X14 tires.

Robert

First photo is Graduate steel wheel, rebubrished with new tire

Second photo is superlite wheel on quad

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the turbinos are in good shape, you could get enough to pay for the steel wheels you want. The turbinos are much lighter, and the car will handle better with less unsprung weight. Just my 2 cents, but if it is looks, Ok, if it is performance, well, that is another story

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
I think Kccampro is asking two questions:

1) Will any 105/115 Alfa wheel fit my '74 spider? The answer to that one is "yes".

2) What year Alfas came with steel wheels/sombreros? I think the answer to that one is early 2 liters in "Graduate" model - probably 1972 to around 1977. (What was the name of the other model that came with Campagnolos?) The key is to find steel wheels without humps for mounting hubcaps. You don't want wheels from a 1750 ('69 and '71 here in the States) which are 14", but had those humps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Graduate models were in the mid 80's, and came stock with the steel wheels you like. An option was to get full wheel covers that looked like the phone dial wheels

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a set of steel wheels with center caps available from a 1973 Spider if your interested. Please contact me directly if interested.
Regards, Al

·
Registered
279 Posts
kc, awhile back, I sold a set of '87 graduate steel wheels with sombreros to a gentleman with an early 70's spider. I included the lug nuts, which have a flat, washer-like protubence to hold the sombrero in place. As I recall, he had an issue using these nuts with the studs on his car. I think they (studs) were too long. these sombrero lugnuts are not easy to find and certainly not in a longer length. I don't know how he resolved it...new shorter lugs or cut the existing, but it's something you might want to check.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All, 14" steel wheels were standard equipment on 105/115 USA Alfa models up through the 1973 model year (as seen on carpediem's '74 pictured above). In 1974 USA 115 Spiders shifted to the "turbina" alloy wheels that have been mentioned. I shifted my '73 (which I have owned since new) to Cromodora "Daytona Star" mags (real mag wheels, not the later ones that were made out of aluminum) in the early 80s. In my mind those are the perfect wheels for Spiders. The later Alfa OEM Daytona copies are not nearly as nice.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, me boy, if ya do it, BE SURE TO GET THE LUG NUTS! The center caps will only stay on with nuts that have a rim around them. Check IAP for a picture. Also check the price. For that matter, also check the price of those center caps. Unless you source a complete used set, you're talking some money. Still, have to agree, I like my Graduate wheels. I've even grown fond of the ugly duck tail.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, me boy, if ya do it, BE SURE TO GET THE LUG NUTS! The center caps will only stay on with nuts that have a rim around them. Check IAP for a picture. Also check the price. For that matter, also check the price of those center caps. Unless you source a complete used set, you're talking some money. Still, have to agree, I like my Graduate wheels. I've even grown fond of the ugly duck tail.
Graham from NZ here. If anyone wants some sombreros, I've got lots that I'll never use, as my Alfas have all been changed to Turbina now. Lots of various nuts, likewise. I'd be really pleased to give any or all to a good Alfa home, to repay favours I've received from the BB! (Postage from NZ might be a show-stopper though.)
I imagine most of the stuff is off Alfettas and Alfasud models, but there might be some 105 in there too. Anything you want, let me know, and I can make measurements, send photos, etc, to see if anything suits.
Best regards,
Graham in NZ (
156, 1750GTV, Alfasud x4).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I pick up a set mentioned above and they look like they'll work great. Ironically most of the lug nuts on the car already are the ones requiried to hold on the caps. So basically the car came with turbines and the wrong lugs. But, they'll work great for the caps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts