Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - thanks for letting me join!

I'm a Lancia owner but really fancy an AR too but I just cannot decide whether to go for a 2000 GTV or a 2600 Sprint.

Any thoughts and opinions Re pro's and con's to try and help me decide would all be gratefully received !

TIA !

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
2000 GTV. Better driving dynamics, easier to restore and maintain.

Pete

·
Registered
993 Posts
Depends what you want out of your car. Based on my experiences with my spider, the GTV is a light, tossable sports car that's suited to back roads, whereas the 2600 is a larger GT car - in Lancia-speak, Fulvia coupe vs. Flamiinia coupe. Also depends on your patience for obscure car ownership, though if you have Lancias you're probably fine with that - some parts are tricky to get, the Solexes (which most 2600 sprints have) are not the easiest to live with, tires are 165x400mm, and general parts availability is not as easy, though it isn't terrible. Let us know what you want out of your car and that might help us guide you...

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Any serious car (or airplane) enthusiast understands that there is no one car that meets the undefinable term “best”. Thus, it is necessary to have more than one.

My first love is my 59 2000 Touring Roadter. Stylish, comfortable, rare, and fast. It is not a high spirited sports car, but it makes me feel good all over.

I have a 115 Spider. Daily driver. Reliable, comfortable for short trips, sporty if I feel like taking a section of curves daringly.

99 916 GTV. Does everything a 105/115 GTV does, but with first tier comfort, brilliant air conditioning, and much better handling.

The 2600 Sprint is a mighty beast of a GT Tourer. Reliable if well sorted recently. Not reliable if maintenance has been deferred or half-heartedly undertaken. Not a pleasant driver around town, and probably not one’s first choice for mid to long distance drives. A true #1 or #2 car would be nice to take your romantic partner out to dinner or a play. As they’ll probably never be prized collectibles, a nicely restored car with added electric power steering and modern aircon would actually be a fun touring car for mid-length trips. The four-disk brake cars can be fairly easily converted to 15” or 16” wheels and tires, solving that problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
2000 GTV. Better driving dynamics, easier to restore and maintain.
Exactly!

But as DPeterson3 pointed out, a LOT depends on how you intend to use the car. For driving pleasure - especially on tight, twisty roads - it's tough to beat a 4-cylinder Alfa. If you want an unusual car to bring to a high level for concours, or just the joy of the restoration process, then a 2600 could be right for you. But the majority voted for the 4-cylinder Alfas; they outsold the 6-cylinders by a significant factor.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I had a brief flirtation with a 2600 coupe. It wasn't a good car so I sold it on to a greater fool . . . 2600's were meant to compete with Lancia Flaminias. Compared to my Flaminia, however, the 2600 always felt rather ponderous and not particularly fun to drive. As a competitor to Flaminias, it doesn't make the cut. As for the GTV choice, If it were me I'd take the GTV over the 2600 if only for the former's excellent dynamic driving qualities.

I might also suggest that you give some thought to a Giulia Super. These little sedans are real "sleepers" because they look so innocent, yet, have the complete Alfa Roeo running gear, i.e., twin-cams, Webers, five speed gearbox, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. They're about half the price you'd pay for a comparable GTV and are a blast to own and drive.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I might also suggest that you give some thought to a Giulia Super. ...... They're about half the price you'd pay for a comparable GTV and are a blast to own and drive.
Not to take anything away from Giulia Supers; maybe Moorii09 should be looking at them. But have you checked the Super market lately? "half the price you'd pay for a comparable GTV" is a thing of the past. 2/3 to 3/4 maybe. Heck, Berlinas are approaching the "half a GTV" range.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Prices are down right now in Europe. 15k euros will turn of some good looking cars. Even with shipping and customs you're still under 20k for a nice old Alfa.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Prices are down right now in Europe. 15k euros will turn of some good looking cars. Even with shipping and customs you're still under 20k for a nice old Alfa.
So you're saying that the ratio of a European-sourced Super to a US-sourced GT might be 1 : 2. OK, that may be true.

Still, thinking of two US-based Alfas that recently hit the market, consider this super: For Sale - 1967 Giulia Super Bollino d'Oro Admittedly $45K is its asking price.

and this stepnose GT: 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT that recently sold on BaT. Yes, $42K is its only its hammer price; additional fees will be added by BaT. But hey, the buyer is getting a stepnose, which typically sells for more than the later GTV.

So from my admittedly well-chosen examples, I could say that Supers are exceeding the price of GT's.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Welcome to the forum Moorii,

I had both, 2000 GTV without a doubt.

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Beaten paths are for beaten men. Dare to roam away from the herd.

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
Beaten paths are for beaten men. Dare to roam away from the herd.
Fair enough, but buy a 2000 Sprint instead of a 2600 Sprint. After all Don, you fell in love with the 2000 Spider which I suspect has much better chassis balance than the 2600 Spider.

Or if really, really want a 2600, like if lying awake at night in a hot sweat dreaming about the 2600 engine :D, but one that needs restoring and move the engine back 1 to 2 feet, so the rear cylinders disappear under the windscreen (maybe dry-sumped so it can be lowered to enable spark plug maintenance), and make the car Alfa Romeo should have made

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Actually, the better balance of the 2000 over the 2600 wasn’t and isn't a factor.

When I walk out on the spur of a moment, as we did this morning to go out for brunch, I just gravitate to the 102. It is a Grand car, not a Sports car. It makes me feel Grand.

I reckon a very nice 2600 Sprint would have the same magic. With maybe power steering and AC (because you can’t lower the top).

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
325 Posts
2600 parts are a challenge, both availability and price. GTV, not a factor on both counts. OTH...what do YOU want? Go with that and have fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all comments, input and everyone's time.
It has been very useful indeed to consider all of the points made.
As I have a Lancia Montecarlo (and Integrale) with TC engine I adore, I have to admit that the TC'd GTV was probably already edging it when I asked the question - but the looks. the lines and indeed the straight six of the 2600 was a lure !
Here in the UK, the back and country roads are not only ideal for the cars that I have but are obviously much better suited to the GTV for maximum enjoyment when conditions permit ! :)
My search has already begun..... LOL
Again, thanks to all but feel free to keep this thread alive with anything you feel relevant (y)

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
Heck first person I've ever heard not like the looks of the 105/115 Coupe!!

Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,041 Posts
Heck first person I've ever heard not like the looks of the 105/115 Coupe!!

Pete
Who doesn't like the 105/115 Coupe? Delightful cars. We might remember, though, that the 61 Bertone 2000 (CI) Sprint was the beginning of that line, continuing through the 2600, until it's little brother was hatched in 1964. My second Alfa was a 65 Sprint GT. Loved it!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
My view is, if your pocket lint is such that you can get a nice 2600 spider without financing and just a passionate buy, then get that. For a couple grand more, relatively speaking, you could then also get a 105/115 Ti or Berlina for those days you would be out flogging a gtv and would deliver the same smiles and giggles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts