Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What search engine do you frequent most?

• Google

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • MSN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I use Google, but I am becomming quite sceptical about its usefulness. Almost all the top 10 results for any car-related searches are commercial, which is annoying. I find that its taking away from the enjoyment of seeing the genuine enthusiast run sites that used to be quite active.

Double annoying that most search results from other sources are provided by Google as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I mainly use Google, but since starting my own business have also become sort of disenchanted with it. The first N results -- where N is a very large number -- on pretty much any search you can do for me are for companies that don't actually do what you searched on.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Well, actually I remember in the old days I used to use Yahoo, Geeves, Web-Crawler, and a bunch of others. Today, it seems like Google is just way easier and works pretty well.

Heck, even I am "googleable"!:D

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I use Google, but I am becomming quite sceptical about its usefulness. Almost all the top 10 results for any car-related searches are commercial, which is annoying. I find that its taking away from the enjoyment of seeing the genuine enthusiast run sites that used to be quite active.

Double annoying that most search results from other sources are provided by Google as well.
I mainly use Google, but since starting my own business have also become sort of disenchanted with it. The first N results -- where N is a very large number -- on pretty much any search you can do for me are for companies that don't actually do what you searched on.
I also use Google (and hence voted for it in the poll), but I fully agree with the opinions expressed by italiansedanman and rxmar23.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I use Google almost exclusively, the almost comes into play when I'm preparing a BI (Bibliographic Instruction) and want to show the differences in hits and rankings between search engines or how the wording, wild cards, or punctuation will effect what is retrieved.

I find Google much more useful as far as relevancy once you learn the shortcuts and "cheat sheet" symbols to make the query return more relevant results. I'm not talking about the "hints" posted on the Google site but the "cheat sheets" that have been put together and posted by major academic universities: Harvard, Princeton, etc.

FTR, I really liked Harvard's? competition to Google, Tahoma (I think it was called), until it bit the dust. The format was different, you could sub-set within a search more effectively, the results pages were clear and uncluttered, and provided different hits than Google.

As far as database searching my favorite is Dialog because you can set up subsets, inter-mix the subsets, combine subsets, change them in and out without changing or disrupting the original subsets while designing or adding more, as far as what you're searching with and find a wealth of information that otherwise in my opinion is very difficult to find and put together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts