Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just need some help on which oil i should use. Or brand i should use more specifically. I had an engine built by the ALL MIGHTY Dawie de Villiers. He recommended that i use !0w-60. So who should i go for. I have the following options...

Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w-60
Castrol EDGE Sport 10w-60
Selenia Racing SAE 10w-60

What do you guys think, i know that alfa uses the Selenia Oil from factory, but im just in need of a second opinion.

Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey guys, just need some help on which oil i should use. Or brand i should use more specifically. I had an engine built by the ALL MIGHTY Dawie de Villiers. He recommended that i use !0w-60. So who should i go for. I have the following options...

Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w-60
Castrol EDGE Sport 10w-60
Selenia Racing SAE 10w-60

What do you guys think, i know that alfa uses the Selenia Oil from factory, but im just in need of a second opinion.

Cheers

Castrol Edge 10w-60 is basically the same stuff we get branded here at BMW as Castrol TWS Motorsport, which is the recommended oil for M3/Z4M/M5/M6

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
For break in, I would use mineral oil. Change after 400 miles. Then another 1000 or so miles with new mineral oil. Around 1400 miles switch to any synthetic oil of your choice.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
am researching oil at the moment for the next change and am becoming wary of oils with a large span between the low and high temp viscosity.

0W60 - as the crows around here say, faaark that's huge mate!

I think that unless you can't warm the engine up or are in a low temp climate (ie regular below 10C starts), is there really any need to go lower than 20 or even 25?

Other factor I am considering is something that has a high zinc content to protect the cams and buckets. See the oil thread elswhere here for a link to a good article about Porsche engines and oils.

Since factory for a V6 is 10W50, and mine gets a workout, I'm leaning towards a 20ishW60 - hopefully in a synthetic or semi synthetic with at least 0.1% zinc content. Haven't settled on anything yet - still looking around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts