Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to replace the bottom axle in picture some years ago in a 164S that kept getting an ABS light as soon as car started to roll. I suspect it is used on a German machine. As you can see ABS ring not in correct spot for a 164 which is at outer edge near axle spline in correct 164 axle - the top axle in picture.

Does anybody know?

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got puzzled too by different styled CV joints. The one with the incorrectly located ABS rings in the pic was the new one I ordered from IAP. I called them to inquire about a correct one, they simply indicated that it was the only one available for the 164. I had to return it and source a used one with the correct CV joint/ABS ring location. Maybe fits a later model Alfa? Except for the ABS ring location, it looks like it would have functioned to move the car just fine.

As for German machines? Don't know - I've done a number of Audi CV joints, and they all have a retaining stretch bolt into the axle end, rather than a nut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got puzzled too by different styled CV joints. The one with the incorrectly located ABS rings in the pic was the new one I ordered from IAP. I called them to inquire about a correct one, they simply indicated that it was the only one available for the 164. I had to return it and source a used one with the correct CV joint/ABS ring location. Maybe fits a later model Alfa? Except for the ABS ring location, it looks like it would have functioned to move the car just fine.

As for German machines? Don't know - I've done a number of Audi CV joints, and they all have a retaining stretch bolt into the axle end, rather than a nut.
Works fine in a 164B which does not have ABS system.

Would be nice to know what is was used on. I still have it in my spares stash since I have a 164B I can use it on.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of my spare 164 axles and one spare unknown

Long axles for 164 5-speed models and right axle on A/T models all with ABS.

Short axles for left side A/T models at transmission.

Axles with non-ABS rings for 164B
Axle with ABS ring in inner side of outer CV not used on any 164 I have ever worked on.

Axle nut is 36mm and threads on end of axle are M24x? thread pitch. I think M24x1.00 or 1.25. Don't have a die or thread gauge to verify. Anybody know?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
My axle/CV was fine until I pulled the engine and 'fixed' the joint by cleaning and greasing it. The drivers side joint came apart while I was cleaning it. After a couple of tries, I got the 'Chinese puzzle' back together, with help from the ABB. I noticed what I considered very slight wear in the races for the 5 balls (visible but not measurable). Now when backing out of the garage at an angle it goes -***, ***, ***. When the tire hits a bump or pot hole there is a little thump, thump noise, which may be the strut bearings.

This Difatta eBay listing, for a 5 speed axle, has what I am looking for but I'd like one for a 1992 164-S, not an LS or Quad. Would anyone have a new one for a 164-S or know where to get one? Apparently the axle would work but the ABS trigger teeth are bigger on the LS/Q so the ABS would not work... If you have a LS/Q you might want to consider getting this part. (no relation to seller...other than $$ already spent)

Mark

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Maybe thump, thump, thump would be a better description. I've heard the word I used that starts with a 'w' and rhymes with cop, is derogatory in Italian.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts