Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a new user here. I've regarded myself as an Alfisti for a long time, but still I haven't owned an Alfa. I'm sure you all agree that's not right, there's really only one way to fix that.

I've got my daily driver, so I'll be looking for something for weekends and occasionally brighten up my 30k commute to work.
So far I've narrowed it down to an Alfetta GTV because I really like it, and I think its a future classic. It's probably going to be a 2 litre too, it fits better with my budget and I'm looking for handling/balance more than grunt.

But which one? I used to prefer the plastic bumper version, but now the old chrome bumper version is really starting to grow on me.

Which one has the best "classic" potential?
Or should I just go for the best one I can find, and don't care about model?

What should I expect to pay for a reasonable car? Not looking for a concourse winner, but not a restoration object either.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
67 Posts
kris
if you are mechanically minded and know where to look for rust on the gtv then the best model to get is around 1986 the later cars have isostatic gear changes and the dashboard (arguably ) is better.
parts are generally easy to come by and usually you will find 2nd synchro is slow and will grind on downshift.
try to buy one that has not been modified '

the 2litre is a good strong engine and pretty reliable if looked after.
the 2.5litre is like a completely different car to drive and although reliable must have the cambelt changed at certain klms.
the biggest problem with the 2.5litres is the detensioner which is oil activated and ALWAYS leak oil.

having said all that go in with your eyes open and enjoy the experience.

owning an alfa means you will become knowledgable about these cars to a certain degree

hopes this helps a little

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I went through this last year before getting my GTV6.

In the 4 cyls the chrome bumper model (77 to 80/81ish) has the best classic potential, but are hard to find in worthwhile condition.

There are more plastic bumper models around - partly because they are newer, but the rust protection seemed to be more effective and more of them have survived. Still can be difficult to find a really nice one though.

I found that there were a lot more GTV6s to look at, and they were in better condition for no more money. The downside is they have greater potential for big mechanical bills - engine and driveline, (save now, pay later!). Putting some context around it though, its a lot cheaper to run than a Ferrari, which is what you'd have to buy to get a better engine.

Still, while I started looking for a 4 cyl, and ended up getting a 6, I think the 6 has the greatest classic potential. The engine makes it all worthwhile and will be what raises it up above the rest when judged by history/nostalgia.

Still, if you buy the best of any model that you can find, you'll enjoy it regardless. There's lots to love about all of them.

Best of luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you.
Luckily I am mechanically inclined, I enjoy working on cars in general. The only thing I really hate is sanding, so I'll stay clear of anything needing an immediate respray.

It probably is foolish to rule out the V6. if I can find a decent one to a good price its hard to overlook

·
Registered
143 Posts
As one of those lucky few who has both ('82 2.0 and '86 v6) all I can say is grab one, ANY one!! I am fortunate in that both of the them are runners and registered, although the 2.0 needs an engine rebuild BAD as it seems a bit sluggish and blows a nice cloud of crap out every morning, leaving sooty black oval marks on my driveway.

For everyday driving the v6 is definately nicer IMO, mainly because of the increased reliability. Mine is bog standard except for Koni yellows all round but still suffers from understeer, even with near new Pirelli P6000 on the front and a worn P6000 and P6 on the back. Also the seating is lower in v6 which is handy if you are a tall lanky sod like me (6'4" with long arms and legs) but still expect to have your knees splayed to drive it (mine touch the outside of the wheel, i'm getting black marks on the inside of my jeans). Plus that v6 is such an awesome engine, torque everywhere and that noise at redline is phenomenol.

On the other had the 2.0 is still such a nice car, everybit as chuckable as the v6, it feels a bit more planted but does seem a bit floatier, probably due to that standard 25yr old shocks. Look out for oil leaks from the back of the engine, if it's the rear main seal it's a real PITA to replace, especially by yourself.

Just buy the best one you can afford in your price range and you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My recommendation is to buy the best 78/79/80 model you can find. Immediately have it comprehensively rust inhibited, then just drive the hell out of it. When it's worn out, rebuild it, and do it all again.:D

Early cars have less 'bits' than the plastic bumper versions keeping them nearer to the original concept, and importantly, a lot easier to keep roadworthy.

The plastics on the later cars are at the age where they are all failing and I don't think these parts are any easier to source than similar parts on earlier cars. Things such as sunroofs and electric mirrors are troublesome, and I certainly disagree with FrencheGTV that the GTV6 has a lower seat. Maybe lower than the same model 2.0 but the 2000 series cars have simpler, lighter, and lower seats, but less supportive. Note also that the sunroof further reduces available headroom for taller drivers.

I also find that the vinyl headliner of earlier cars doesn't grab your hair as the felt liners do, so even if your head does rub the roof, it's less noticeable.

My GTV2000 had simple, reliable, and accurate instrumentation, which the GTV6 did not. The layout on the later cars is arguable better though.

A little thing I loved about the 2000 is that the tacho and speedo needles sweep in unison in top gear too ;)

I put over 200,000 km on my '79 and for about 8 of the 14 years it was my only car. It went camping, sprinting, spent time in the Alps and spent a few years on the hot, derestricted speed roads of the NT.

A 2L engine with well tuned carbs is a simple and dead reliable device. They will also go for ages even when nearly worn out.

An early 116 coupe has a lot less electrics to cause problem on a dark night, and you can pull the dashboard in around 20 minutes.

Rust is certainly a real issue on the earlier models, but if I had $10K to spend on an Alfetta coupe, I really think I'd be looking for a pristine GTV2000 over a GTV6 or GTV 2.0. Of course, actually finding such a car is another matter altogether.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
, but if I had $10K to spend on an Alfetta coupe, I really think I'd be looking for a pristine GTV2000 over a GTV6 or GTV 2.0. Of course, actually finding such a car is another matter altogether.
that is the problem :confused:

my thesis is that a good nuova is going to be a better bet than a ropey early model.

having made that leap of logic, if you have to have plastic bumpers ( :( ) you might as well have a V6 engine :D

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hmmm you might be right about the seats there Beatle Bayly, it could just be the difference between the series 1 and 2 seats but I definately 'feel' lower in the v6 with the newer style than the 2.0 with the old ones. Also the v6 has a sunroof and the 2.0 doesn't but, dad hits his head everytime he gets in the 2.0 but not the v6 so I don't know what's going on.

On a slight tangent, I bought the 2.0 from the original owner who was about 6in shorter than me and there's a big mark on the headliner above the drivers seat, I have no idea how he could drive it perched up in the air like that, must have been very uncomfortable.

Also I broke the gear linkage on the v6 last week, went from 4th to 5th at about 90kmh but I just got a grinding noise as it went back into third. Went for 4th and it went in but the stick was very sloppy so I drove home with just those 2 gears. Upon getting home I checked and sure enough, everything except 3rd and 4th wouldn't engage. Crawl under the car and sure enough I had broken the weld on the back of the shift rod, it could move foward and back but that was it. But on the bright side I did find why mine sounds so nice, it has an ANSA centre secion, anybody got a rear section lying around they want to get rid of??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know you said you do not "need" power but let me just say that the V6 engine is SUPERB, it leaves the 4 for dead in power, torque and SOUND.
I had an 82 GTV (2 litre) and an 92 model alfa 90 (same Chassis and suspension as the GTV 6- but the sedan was supposed to have a bette balance) and I tell you the V6 was much much more fun to drive. The V6 is just more usable and fun

As a comaprison both cars had the engines rebuilt to fairly stock spec's at approx the same time by and reputable Alfa mechanic so I am not comparing a dog 4 against a hotted up V6.

I strongly suggest that you try both and I am sure you will be impressed by the shear drivability and fun that can be had with the V6 - the 4 just does not have enough torque for the weight of the car to be as fun as it should be.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I spent my first 14 years of Alfa ownership in a 4cyl GTV and I think the 4 is more fun. It doesn't have enough outright power to show up the many foibles of the Alfetta chassis and can be driven all day on the limit, and even over the limit at times, without throwing anything unmanageable at the driver.
At the limit, in the hands of an owner who has a lot of miles/familiarity in the car, and a GTV(4) is immensely balanced and satisfying and driven with the fingertips.

The GTV6 is better when you get older..............and lazier ;)

The early GTV2000 is like Audrey Hepburn, having no unnecessary 'extras' and being a lot more than the mere sum of its parts. :)

The GTV6 is more like.............................................Priscilla Presley. A lot of plastic to cover up it's age, and not any real improvement over all on the pure original :eek::eek::eek:

Sadly, the best combination wasn't manufactured by Alfa. That would have been an Alfetta GTV TS.

The 75TS I had for a short time was the best 'Alfetta' to drive, by a long shot. Just a shame all the modern plastics let it down.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts