Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I found a burnt fuse and replaced it , but still have no dash lighting, and shop manual does not specify, I believe. Anyone know which fuse it is and what amps? (a few months ago, that same fuse shorted and dash light , of course, went out. This from condensation drips from ac ductwork, dripping on fuse box!!)

Now I cant remember which one it was. Pulled them all and they are good, but still want to know so I can be sure this circuit is good.
Thanks again for troubleshooting!!

Joe

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Eric. So, which is it, as they dont use the word "dash", so is it "instrument light"? Just semantics.......

Or maybe its #9? (still puzzled over semantics)

·
Administrator
16,655 Posts
1. What model year is your Spider? On our '84 the speedo/tach lights are separate from the other instrument lights. At least there is a rheostat (dimmer) for the console lights but the speedo/tach are not controlled by that switch. I don't recall offhand if they are all on the same fuse though. Send a PM to PapaJam and ask if he has a wire diagram for your model year. (I know he has them for the '84 because I have a copy of the diagrams he makes - they are THE best).

2. The cruise control is working great. It is nice to hop on the highway and let the CC maintain a set speed - keeps my right knee/ankle from cramping and probably helps to avoid speeding tickets, too.

Here's a sample from PapaJam's wire diagram:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry for delay....had to eat.

Its an 87 spid. I have a wiring diagram, in the BIG shop manual, but it is not color coded.

I got the thing working, as I said, but too bad these fuse diagrams dont spell it out ....seems too simple.

·
Administrator
16,655 Posts
I have a wiring diagram, in the BIG shop manual, but it is not color coded.
You would really like the diagrams PapaJam makes. Color-coded .pdf files. You can zoom in on the computer if needed.

I took a copy (on a USB drive thing) to an office supply store and they printed me a color copy on 11" X 17" paper then laminated it. Cost me about $5.00 (I had a coupon, IIRC). Great for use in the garage.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You would really like the diagrams PapaJam makes. Color-coded .pdf files. You can zoom in on the computer if needed.

I took a copy (on a USB drive thing) to an office supply store and they printed me a color copy on 11" X 17" paper then laminated it. Cost me about $5.00 (I had a coupon, IIRC). Great for use in the garage.
I heard about Papajam.....v good idea....seems like a "gotta have" for sure.....

Does this papajam thing actually match the colors in the alfa system?

Well, you did say theyre the best, so Im sure they are.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Don't forget the dash light dimmer at your right knee. I have had that go bad and used a gym clip to short between the two connecters to check it out. You could easily make a little jumper wire with spades to bi-pass the dimmer.

I ended up getting a new transistor and replacing the bad one. Been working for 5 years now.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the dash light dimmer at your right knee. I have had that go bad and used a gym clip to short between the two connecters to check it out. You could easily make a little jumper wire with spades to bi-pass the dimmer.

I ended up getting a new transistor and replacing the bad one. Been working for 5 years now.
Thanks, Stan. Yup, that dimmer light fooled me....it was off!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts