Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was collecting all the tools, bits and pieces to do a porting job and was wondering what are the best bits to get. After doing some searching I found a bunch to choose from at this link but wasn't sure if they are the right ones for the job. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Simon, you are talking about porting your Alfa, right ? :D

those carbide bits are way too fine to use on aluminum. they will clog virtually instantly. :(

i don't know if they are the best, but Eastwood sells the correct style for aluminum. they cut fast, and are resistent to clogging from the soft metal :

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2338&itemType=PRODUCT

you will also want to use coarse sandpaper on the intake side and fine for the exhaust side to clean-up and smooth down the rough cutting from the carbide bits. something like this works well :

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2335&itemType=PRODUCT

finally, you will be using a die grinder or a flex shaft on an electric motor, right ;) a drill motor will not give you the needed control. and, of course, you have done all the appropriate research . . .

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I was collecting all the tools, bits and pieces to do a porting job and was wondering what are the best bits to get. After doing some searching I found a bunch to choose from at this link but wasn't sure if they are the right ones for the job. Any comments would be appreciated.
Simon: I'd definitely get burs in a ball shape, a taper shape, and an olive shape. The larger balls on pg. two look like they'd work OK but all the shanks look a little short to me. I found mine at a local aircraft/machine tool supply. There are probably several clustered around your airport. That's usually where they are, anyway. The place I used had a good selection of carbide burs and, once I could actually look at what I was buying, I immediately understood what I needed.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dion & Jim thank you for the info.

I'm going to attempt to port my 2L head according to Jim K specs and do a thread on the process. Should be entertaining at the least. :)

Here is a link to the electric die grinder I was thinking of purchasing for the project.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

It's a cheap one but I figured I'd only be using it this once so I didn't want to go to crazy. Seems these things go all the way up into the 300+ range. I cant go with air because my compressor is not up to the task.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
It's a cheap one but I figured I'd only be using it this once so I didn't want to go to crazy. Seems these things go all the way up into the 300+ range. I cant go with air because my compressor is not up to the task.

Simon: The electric die grinder is a good choice, especially if you want to maintain cordial relations with just about anyone within earshot of where you are working. :) Air powered die grinders are l-o-u-d!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Joe Mondello try this from the right man :) realy you dont need more than 2-3 carbide burs .. i use one large + one medium size diamond cut egg bur and one medium size flame burr ... i have ported around 9 heads and 90% off the work is done with big egg shaped burr... other is lots of practice ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts