Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a classic Alfa as a daily driver/summer car, and I figure in order to get the most driving time it will need to be able to carry the wife and kids. Given that requirement, I feel a sedan would be the best choice, but it would also need 3-point seat belts on all 4 seats (either stock, or easily retrofitted) and the ability to cruise comfortably at 65-70mph on the highway.

I prefer the Giulia but they may be out of my price range. A Berlina might be more affordable, but the styling doesn't appeal to me as much. I'm also considering the Alfetta sedan but that seems to be a different beast altogether. The Milano doesn't really appeal to me.

Given my requirements I'm looking for advice on what model (if any) I would be able to enjoy with the family.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Got me a 75 Sedan. It's the coolest! Ride nicely and very reliable. No problem running those speeds. Only has Shoulder belts in the front, lap belts in the back. Huge trunk.
a true Ladies Alfa

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Sorry the site farted! Check these out! I mean the truck is huge. Look at what it can hold!

Da Fetta.jpg

Luggage_Fetta.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
Yes, 75 = Milano. Alfetta = Alfetta.

Heck, any Alfa sedan is a good thing. This forum is Giulias and Berlinas, but folks here have experience with most of them. I've had a Giulietta Berlina, various Giulias, many Berlinas, an Alfetta, and a Milano. No Sud, no 164.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Assuming you are in US, since we hadn't had a new Alfa sedan sold in US for the past 20 years, almost anything Alfa is now classic. If you live in a hot summer climate then you will most likely want an A/C car. With few exceptions you are most likely looking at a Milano (75) or a 164. You may also consider a GTV6 - the back seats are relatively spacious...

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Got me a 75 Sedan. It's the coolest! Ride nicely and very reliable. No problem running those speeds. Only has Shoulder belts in the front, lap belts in the back. Huge trunk.
a true Ladies Alfa
75 = 1975

My recommendation is either a late Super or a Berlina. I've had both, as well as an Alfetta Berlina and a couple Milanos. If you drive an Alfetta a lot, you'll get good at changing the driveshaft donuts. If 3-point belts in the back are a requirement, I think only the Milano will have them. Never had a 164 and don't ever want one.

Good luck!

Mike

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
To me, Giulias are more fun, you can throw them around more. Berlinas are more comfortable, better for real-world and long-distance use. Giulias are typically worth a lot more, if that factors into how you would use it.

Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Toronto, so on the occasional really hot day I can take the mini-van. Or just drive with the windows open, the kids like that sort of thing. The car will spend with winters indoors away from the salt.

Are there no retrofits for 3-point belts in the back? Has anyone ever done that to a Giulia, Berlina or Alfetta?

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
I know folks have built shoulder harnesses into the rear parcel shelf on Berlinas, haven't seen it done on Giulias, but no reason why not with proper reinforcement.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I retrofit three rear seat belts to my 1970 Giulia 1300TI for family use. Lap belt in the middle for the car seat (top anchor can be threaded through to trunk) and static shoulder (3-point) belts on the sides.

Believe others have mounted inertia reel shoulder belts in these cars but it seemed difficult to get the orientation correct, so that they'd work as designed. There were no pre-drilled mounting holes but some thicker sections of metal behind the seat bottoms where the lap portions mount. My owner's manual also refers to lap belts in the rear so may have been a dealer installed option. In any event, I reinforced the mounting areas with several big, thick washers in each case. This forum was helpful when I did mine:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/37171-seatbelt-points-super.html

More info here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/187664-modern-retractable-seat-belts-super.html

IIRC, my source for the belts was Highwood Alfa in the UK. I use my Giulia as a fair weather family driver as you describe and have taken it on some long (1,000 mile+) road trips. Such a blast and when it gets warm just open the vent windows and pretend you're in a Spider...

Mine is a very nice driver and largely original so I do get a bit anxious about traffic and parking. But a defensive approach helps mitigate both and they are too much fun to leave in the garage. Nice to have a classic that the whole gang can enjoy. Good luck with your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I love your Giulia and I hope to use mine some day in the way Alfa intended!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I can only speak to the Milano or 164. While the rear drive layout of the Milano appeals to more people and they are super fun to drive, the 164 is much better put together. Much tighter build tolerances and quality and driving at freeway speeds is phenomenal. I take friends and relatives on rides and they tell me my car is smoother than their brand new sedans. At 90/100 they are rock steady and fuss free and the 3.0 sounds like a true Alfa engine. I converted the R12 over to R134 a few years ago and it blows very, very cold.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Not long ago a fellow here on the BB offered an Alfa 6 retrofitted with a turbo Diesel engine. THAT would be a comfortable family cruiser, and as I recall the price was digestible.

Alex, your header doesn't state your location (a helpful addition), but the car was back east somewhere, if that's close to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I'd like to do. Do you have any trouble on the interstate with the car fully loaded? Does it keep up with traffic okay?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Thanks, Greenehosier. Best of luck with the resto.

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I'd like to do. Do you have any trouble on the interstate with the car fully loaded? Does it keep up with traffic okay?
No problem at all, Alex, but should have pointed out that my car has a warmed over 2.0 with Dellortos that previous owner swapped in. It's a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. And the 4.10 rear end keeps it pretty subdued at highway speeds. Others can chime in but my sense is the 1300 will also cruise right along, albeit takes a little longer to get up to speed and may be on the busy side with the 5.12 diff that I believe most of them came with.

That photo was from a 1,500 mile round trip from Minneapolis to Detroit for the national Alfa convention last summer. Due to time constraints, we took the interstate much of the way and cruised easily at 80 with 2 adults, 2 kids and a very full trunk. It was hot on the way out but no issues with overheating of the car or its occupants. We were lucky that traffic was minimal the the vent windows really do help a lot as long as you're moving. White paint probably keeps things a little cooler too. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've driven my Super from NY to California and back twice (Lincoln Highway & RT66). Its a 1600 and I was hauling 2 other adults and luggage. No problems at all - even in the 106F heat of Nevada. So my vote is for the super!

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
I have used a TI, Super, or Berlina as a daily car for everything, since 1977. I did a cross country drive in 2009 in a 1300 TI from Boston to Berkeley, documented on the BB, as did Jim Rogers in a different 1300 TI two weeks later, CT to CA.

Andrew

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I was on an interstate fully loaded, I prefer a 2.0L Berlina over the Super. Better BRAKES and more power to keep up with modern traffic. I'd recommend driving a few different cars before setting your sights on something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any of the sedans will serve you well as daily drivers -- going to the market or tooling around the countryside. Some, however, will serve you better as a cruiser on the Interstate. My Giulietta TI was very busy (buzzy?) at 70mph. My current Giulia TI w/1750, Spruell headers and 4.56 is also tiring on long Interstate drives. But it is a great daily driver, as long as it isn't raining, since the Giulias tend to rust.

If I was planning on lots of highway miles, I would likely chose one of the Alfetta sedans I have owned rather than my previously owned Berlina. Maybe it is noise level that gets to me, and the Alfettas are fairly refined in that regard.

BTW...owned an Alfasud 1300 Super for two years in Germany. Drove all over Europe at 90-95mph with 4 aboard. If they were available here I would own one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts