Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic is convinced my Magnaflow Catalytic Converter is not a good brand and I get what I pay for (cheap cat = smog woes) and I should invest in a 'stock' brand that cost $500-$600.
I am of the opinion that it IS good, I may just have a problem that is making it bad, if in fact it is bad...
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Allow me to clarify: Based on your statement(s), I don't have a clue as to what ( if any ) problems you are searching an answer to. You have made two statements of opinion.

To be succinct - what is the problem?

jeff
... jumping *way* ahead, agrees it's most likely yer O2 sensor based your other thread....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allow me to clarify: Based on your statement(s), I don't have a clue as to what ( if any ) problems you are searching an answer to. You have made two statements of opinion.

To be succinct - what is the problem?

jeff
... jumping *way* ahead, agrees it's most likely yer O2 sensor based your other thread....
I guess my basic question is-is there any difference between a $60-80 Magnaflow cat and a 'stock' one costing $400-$600, my mechanic insists the Magnaflow is not good brand and part of my problem (ie-failing smog pre-test)?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Yes - the stock '82 alfa cat is waay overpriced, and engineered in the early 80's - the Magnaflow ( and all others as well ) are recent designs, cheaper, flow better, and are more space efficient.
This assumes that all cat's you are considering have EPA approval stamped upon them ( you wouldn't choose one that didn't, would you? ) You may/will havta do some welding, etc. the first time you install the new aftermarket cat, but your local muffler shop should be a friend you want over the long haul anyway...

:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cat Converter

I had a Walker Exhaust brand cat welded in, in place of the stock one, in my 1986 and passed smog with 10 ppm HC (160 ppm fails) on the CA dyno test. The part was about $190 plus labor. There is no reason to go with a stock Alfa part for this as the technology in the new cats is many years ahead of what it once was and you have no way of knowing when the stock Alfa part was manufactured.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I think question relates to current cats, that cost $60 vs. those that cost $400. All of these have a "modern design". Based on having seen a cat that was cut open a few years back, I was under the impression that the only difference between the cats was the price. At one point I posted this on the BB, but a couple of people did come back to point out that there was more to the differences than just price. It was not just that one current design was better than another just as current design, but that the materials used were of different efficiency. I wish some of those people would chime in on this thread, but if they don't you may try contacting BB member "JoeCab". I'm pretty sure he was one of those who provided some of the solid differences, and while he does work for a vendor (Centerline), he is very knowledgeable, and at least in my book, his integrity is unquestionable.

Best regards,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,720 Posts
Most of the cost of the catalytic converter is in the platinum and rhenium catalytic materials on the ceramic substrate. The substrates and metal cans are pretty similar.

No idea if Magnaflow is good or crap. But there's no need to buy an Alfa brand cat, just buy a decent aftermarket converter (as opposed to an Ebay special). Find a trustworthy exhaust shop and see what brand they recommend. I think I paid $300 for the cat plus labor to cut out the old one and weld in the new one. It's been working fine.

And make sure you specify a three-way converter. They're more expensive, but otherwise you'll have trouble on the CA NOx limits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts