1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
New to this alfa scene.

I in the process of importing 2 105's. But which would you keep

So I wanted some thing with a bit of style and flair, found a nice restored 1600 gt junior only to be told it was just sold.

Then the same guy who had a few Alfa's and an enthusiast asked if I would be interested in something that needs a little work.

So I now have a complete 1971 GT Veloce 1750. Looks like it needs a n/s lower wing repair and possible sill repairs. Not cheap I know.

And
Then a 35k mile 1974 1600 GT. Junior came up
owned by an elderly couple all it's life, which looked mint for very reasonable price came up, so I bought it.

Now have two. So which one do I keep? it's not a bad problem to have :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
I would opt for the '74 if it is rust-free. You can begin enjoying that one immediately, while it will take some time to fix the rusted '71. Believe me, once you get into it, you will find the rust is more extensive. Significant disassembly will be required to replace the corroded metal which will keep the car off the road for months.

You originally wanted a 1600, so the 1600 in the '74 Junior shouldn't be a problem. You haven't commented on the cars' colors, mechanical condition, ... Perhaps there is some hidden reason to chose the rusted '71 over the cleaner '74, but from the facts contained in your message, the decision seems clear.

Then a 35k mile 1974 1600 GT. Junior came up owned by an elderly couple all it's life
You mean these people have been elderly since 1974? They must be really elderly by now!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Do you have a strong feeling for your "perfect" 105? If you do, since you're new to both cars why not sell them both and get precisely the one you want. Thankfully these cars, while appreciating, aren't as nuts as say air cooled 911's. So if you do a good job of marketing and advertising both, you can probably buy precisely what it is you're after...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair point r-mm. Initially i was looking for a reasonably solid anything car that needs a bit of work that can be driven then taken off the road over winter for some project work.
So the 1750 fitted the bill.
A non restored uk car with little rust doesn't exist. So looked to sunny climates.
Never after a top restored car. Budget wasn't there for that , but the JR might just be to good not to keep.
Although living in the uk it might need to be stripped just to get some rust proofing done. Wax injecting every nook and cranny

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'd agree, keep the JR. An honest, original car is an asset. Plus I sort of like the two headlight look. What's not to like about the two gauge dash. Far superior to the 2000 dash, which is my least favorite part of an otherwise great car. If you don't see any signs of rust I'm not sure I'd strip it that far... cavity wax and undercoating are a must though...

Do they use salt in the UK?

Fair point r-mm. Initially i was looking for a reasonably solid anything car that needs a bit of work that can be driven then taken off the road over winter for some project work.
So the 1750 fitted the bill.
A non restored uk car with little rust doesn't exist. So looked to sunny climates.
Never after a top restored car. Budget wasn't there for that , but the JR might just be to good not to keep.
Although living in the uk it might need to be stripped just to get some rust proofing done. Wax injecting every nook and cranny

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
74 should not have standing pedals, am I wrong?
Yes, you're wrong, or at least guilty of not thinking right (see what I did there) :)
I've a RHD '73 GT Junior on my drive outside with standing pedals

Both these cars will have rust and or will require rust repairs in the near term. Your kidding yourself if you think the 1600 doesn't have any rot, it just hasn't broken through yet.

Buy the one that meets your needs, ie on the road now or slightly better investment later

The 1750 appears to be appreciating faster, has the nicer (more expensive to restore) interior and LSD? The 1600 can be made to go like a scalded cat and should be cheaper up front but is minimalist inside. Personally, I like the single headlight junior over the 1750 or 2000 but the flying buttress seats in the mk1 1750 are a thing of beauty.

Pictures would be good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
you wouldn't be the first person to own 2 alfas:001_smile:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha. New alloy Rad on the passenger seat in photo!
Pics in the links

All Rhd models have standing pedals apparently. Carbs in the way of pedal box so stuck with the floor standing pedals.
The 1750 is a series 2.

Salty uk roads in winter months during cooler spells and as we all have summer tires they salt a lot.
The jr has nice seats, South African cars so slightly different spec. Think they are gtv2000 seats.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes, you're wrong, or at least guilty of not thinking right (see what I did there) :)
I've a RHD '73 GT Junior on my drive outside with standing pedals

Both these cars will have rust and or will require rust repairs in the near term. Your kidding yourself if you think the 1600 doesn't have any rot, it just hasn't broken through yet.

Buy the one that meets your needs, ie on the road now or slightly better investment later

The 1750 appears to be appreciating faster, has the nicer (more expensive to restore) interior and LSD? The 1600 can be made to go like a scalded cat and should be cheaper up front but is minimalist inside. Personally, I like the single headlight junior over the 1750 or 2000 but the flying buttress seats in the mk1 1750 are a thing of beauty.

Pictures would be good.

Craig, pics are in a post above. The 1750 wouldn't normally have an lsd unless requested when new, or retro-fitted from a 2 litre later. It's also a series 2 1750 so doesn't have flying buttress seats.
Steve

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you sure the junior is 74? The interior doesn't look right to me, You can find out more about the car eg. Year of manufacture body & interior colour by sending an email with the chassis # to Marco Fazio

·
Registered
440 Posts
Snips,
have you got the Jr in your possesion and had a close look yet?

it seems to have had the normal 'sun damage repair' to the rear seat, lots of overspray around the engine bay, did SA cars have a non body colour engine bay or has it had a colour change? I don't think Jr's had a centre console and I am not sure about the gaping hole under the igntion key.
I have a SA Super and thats where the choke, throttle normally are - this one has them to the right.
Shiny paint...I guess as always have a close look.

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just checked my email, . It's. a 75. I have read the later SA JR cars have gtv seats.

originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo GT 1600 Junior RHD (115.05), manufactured on the 15th January 1975 and sold to Alfa Romeo SA, Johannesburg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No not seen in the flesh yet. 8000 miles away.
It has had a colour change, was green hence the over spray.
Will have to wait another 6 weeks!
The engine bay not sure if, I have seen a few SA cars with black engine bays and boot/trunks. Not just alfas but fords as well
Not sure if that was a common practice during assembly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
May be last of the early shells before the quad lights introduced
The SA production line may have slightly different specs and time lines.
I'll google it and see what info is out there

1 - 20 of 28 Posts