Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's T minus 7 (days) now, and ready to go. We pick up "Pinyo" in a week in Lommel, Belgium. I will use this thread to keep my "THC" Homies (& others) updated on progress and news. Route map below (# days). Hope to be able to post a few pics along the way when we get internet service or a CyberCafe. C'ya in awhile!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Bruce
You're not going to Milan in late June????

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In "two years" . . . . Sure . . .

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
This is going to be a great thread, I am looking forward to seeing the updates! But then again, every time I open it, I'll be (pino) green with envy! We'll all just keep working while you're gone. Like most of our THC members will concur, it's only because you're such a nice guy, otherwise we'd hate you ;);) All kidding aside, have a great trip, and come home safely!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Bedankt voor de update Roland! Bruce en Kristy zijn goede vrienden van me en ze waren Super Excited. Het is geweldig wat je voor ze gedaan hebt.!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi Peter,

Ik weet het, we hebben 2 dagen geouwehoerd, tegen banden getrapt en gegeten :D

Ze zijn 10 min geleden vertrokken naar het hotel voor een goede nachtrust, morgenvroeg vertrekken ze naar Parijs, last van een jetlag

Zijn zeer tevreden over de auto, was mooier en beter dan verwacht, nu maar hopen dat ie het goed blijft doen, tís toch een hele reis, heb ze mijn TomTom maar meegegevn voor de zekerheid

Morgen zal hij zelf wel reageren hier, ben benieuwd !!

Groeten

Roland

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Het klinkt goed tot dusver voor travlers. Ik hoop Bruce zijn handdoek met hem heeft. Ik ben bezorgd om zijn eerste update te lezen. Since this seems to be a Dutch thread now.;)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Het klinkt goed tot dusver voor travlers. Ik hoop Bruce zijn handdoek met hem heeft. Ik ben bezorgd om zijn eerste update te lezen. Since this seems to be a Dutch thread now.;)
Larry, you never cease to amaze me!:);)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You remember me saying I used to go to Holland all the time, but have not been back since about 1999 or so, 10+ years. But it's not so much skill as it is tools. I have good tools.

Nochtans, waar is Bruce en Kristy? Wij hebben een update nodig!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You remember me saying I used to go to Holland all the time, but have not been back since about 1999 or so, 10+ years. But it's not so much skill as it is tools. I have good tools.

Nochtans, waar is Bruce en Kristy? Wij hebben een update nodig!
Yeah, I remember..... and to echo your sentiments, where's Pinyo?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We're Here!!!!

Ok. ok jongens. We zijn weer terug hier nu. Gewoon veel te doen in Lomel zoals Roland zegt, schoppen banden en eten als kampioenen! Roland en Liesbeth zijn prachtige gulle gastheer.

We made it just fine but I am struggling with the time change this trip. Not enough wine & beer to get asleep I guess. We arrived Tuesday AM and received "Pinyo" at Roland's shop. What a beauty! Exactly as described. Pretty, well restored, solid, and runs very well. For example, there are not any rock or door dings at all. I learn that it is a later Alfetta 2L engine with lots of pull and a delightful deep throaty sound with the GTA repro headers. Even loaded down with 60 kilo of luggage she outpaces most cars. Every other car gives oogling and thumbs up. They like the old timers here, . . . or my wife. Kristy now thinks it is her car as she gets so many men looking with interest! Roland did a lot of work to make it even more road worthy. What a fine fellow he is and such a charming partner in Liesbeth! He is not simply an Alfisti but a very fine fellow with immense knowledge and heart. We toured the beautiful Lommel environs on Tuesday & Wednesday. Left Thursday for Paris to visit Kristy's auntie yesterday and today. Off tomorrow for Provence for 2 weeks. Time to practice your French now!! Cya later!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And PS: When I bragged that the Austin club had 4 Supers with one pending, Roland pointed out that he had that many alone in his driveway!! And double that if you add his shop. He has some exciting projects planned when he gets some time. So who is going to step up next? L8tr!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
En avant en Provence alors, mes amis. Mon Français est prêt quand vous êtes. Quant au Super, quatre est ma limite sur des Alfas... pour maintenant.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Hiya, Bruce! While I had no doubts that the Super would be a good one, I'm glad you like it. You'll have a great time touring Europe with that car. Supers really do attract attention don't they? It's interesting that such a mundane looking little car would be so popular now. I've had Ferrari drivers and Viper drivers wave and, h**l, even the Porsche guys pay attention. Who'da thunk it?

Now that they've visited Califa, Roland and Liesbeth need to visit Texas so they can drive one of our tours, eat some BBQ, and sample Austin's country music.

Groeten

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
He knows he has an open invite and lots of cars to drive. We made him an honorary Texan with all but boots and hat.

We have internet service at my FIL's now so I can reduce some pics and post a few. We're in a very small and ancient village called Viens. The lavender fields do not bloom until August but there are huge fields of yellow rapeseed crop blooming now. It's been dreary, gray, rainy weather since we arrived Saturday, in the 40's-50's. We may take a tour with Kristy's father to visit all the ancestors, tend the plots and leave flowers. A May ritual. At 2000km on top of an already 8000km trip. OMG. Will post some later. Bruce
---------------------------------
Later - posted some pics.

She runs well at all conditions with the 2L. On the Autoroutes, she cruises at 130kph actual/140 indicated (80mph) at 4000 rpm or 120kph actual (75mph) at about 3700 rpm. I'd guess some expert out here could confirm it's a Euro 4.30 rear-end or not. It's supposed to be. She pulls up hills from 2000 rpm. The speedo is off by 10 kph because of 60 profile 15" tires which are also a bit harsh on bumpy roads as they are also an energy saving Michelin Energy design (hard rubber). At mostly highway speed she gets 27 mpg loaded with 150# luggage + us. But they grip well. There is a moderate vibration at 4000 rpm that feels like drive-line bearing, u-joint, nose bearing, or drive-line balance. There's a new donut. Where's Bob when you need him? We'll need to watch that. Roland did lots of other prep work. What a keen guy. He replaced the rear springs to level it out but with all the luggage, provisions and lard, we probably should have left the higher ones on as she sits pretty low under load now. All four headlamps are nice old Carello.

We'll take some scenery pics around the beautiful environs tomorrow. All for now! Bruce

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There is one thing especially that I really value about this transaction. That is, as I told Roland, the car is exactly as inspected and represented in his description. Pictures are for general amusement from afar only. Roland could inspect and determine that all the spotwelds in the visible and critical places (wheel arches, fender attachments, etc.) were original indicating no major body work. Rockers and jacking points were solid and original. If you like the model and color combination, that information is key to know that it is solid. And then came all he extras in pickup, prep (lots considering the use) and the like.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Sounds like y'all are having a fine time !!
We look forward to each new episode :^)
Randy

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Randy, you paved the way for this together with Jim, Gary and the other un-named co-conspirators. I hear you may be over for the big Dutch Alfa Club festival. Wow, something like 3500 members and high attendance. Sounds great. We are resting up in Provence and eating and drinking well. Some new pics tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts