Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have not heard a peep from him in a long time:confused::confused:, john , are you ok?:)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Probably out polishing..... :eek::eek:

All the trophies he won in Lexington!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi guys:

Been running around. Totally innocent I promise

Selling one...I mean playing with my Alfas....ok..not cheating. Don't worry...honey...I am still faithful....I wouldn't stray....I haven't been going to any other bulletin boards....what's up with the lights shining in my face and the Alfas in the Bluegrass Louisville Slugger in your hand?

OK....I ADMIT IT.....I'VE BEEN TURNED.....I BOUGHT A FERRARI!:D:D:D

AND ITS NOT EVEN WHITE!:eek:

I haven't been worth a dam since this quest began right after the convention. She....the Ferrari....is like a slutty mistress who keeps calling saying come over and drive me!:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
little RED dress?????

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
little RED dress?????
Of course not...those are way slow!:D:D:D And if you think every Alfa is red....let me tell you its not even close as nearly all F cars seem to be red.

Went with Azzurro Metallizzato. Its like a medium blue metallic.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..i like that.. peeking around the corner.... looking demure...but ready to tear your heart out....yum..yum..

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...just noticed, that piller in the foreground.. mice/rats? eating away at the bottom... and where is you white spider????hummmmmm

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Ferrari. Ummm. Be sure to come back and "slum" with us po' folk every now and then John.:D

Are you going to have to change your intro from "Alfa poor in KY," to "Ferrari destitute in KY"?

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like that last one, roadtrip:):)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You guys are killing me!:D:D

Definitely destitute! She is going to need a clutch and belts right out of the box. Hope my Alfa training pays dividends!:D

I cannot claim that garage as mine. She is still sitting in the PO's garage. Won't ship till first week of October.

I am of course keeping my two white Spiders. They are probably faster than any color 308. But I figured the Blue 308 and the White Spider Veloces would fulfill my needs to support my UK WILDCATS come basketball season!:D:D:D

Off to bed. Got to work tomorrow so I can afford that clutch kit!:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
Geez, some people never learn do they! Nice color though.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know....Gluten for punishment.:D:D:D

After the convention, I put the SS project up for sale...really privately. Thanks to Daron at Vintage for drawing the connections for me. When I posted it here on the Alfabb, it was already almost sold at that point. But wanted to make others aware it was moving. I took the proceeds and flipped them into another toy.....anyway....

Thought about one of those evil P car or newer Vettes (after all I live in KY)....and even total blasphemy...a 300ZXTT or NSX. But thinking about insuring and maintaining....the 308 won out. I was thinking, what can a lil 308 throw at me that I haven't already seen in the Alfa 2L.....besides the timing belt of course! And she goes on the classic car insurance...dirt cheap.

The 308 is wet sleeved. The head/cam setup looks very Alfa 2L. (mine is a 82 GTSi so 2V) Think Montreal engine... The engine comes out through the bonnet. You'd think they have Lucas electrics with all their electrical issues. Now if you go and buy anything with in a yellow box with a prancing horse stamped on it, it comes with a free big screw. But prudent shopping can be done. Too bad those titans of engineering F guys didn't figure out a chain drive for these babies. Its not like they make a bunch of horsepower....so the weight would have been fairly inconsequential. But alas...the belts. One more thing...they rust like Alfas.:D:D:D

The ultimate zin moment I had while considering which 308 if any to purchase....they are all freaking SLOW.....like BLACK SPIDER SLOW!:D:D:D I thought about throwing extra money at a QV or early carb model (83-85 or 76-77 respectively) vs the emissions models (78-79 carb, 80-82 injected). About 25-30 hp between the groups. But when a new Camry or minivan can beat you in the quarter in any of them.....I couldn't justify paying for twice the valves on rebuild or the extra money up front. So I went for a more rare color.

Looking forward to seeing her in person. Daron went and inspected her for me. Can't thank him enough. This is not a perfect car...but rather one that is nice but needed some love and attention. And for those curious, the fairly nice running and driving 308 cost significantly less than what I sold the SS project (blown apart in boxes). Alfa values will rise....even our beloved spiders.....even the slow black ones!:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good luck with the Ferrari. I have had three personally, and sold four others for club members. Its a passion like no other....just keep after the maintenance (mostly timing belts, tensioners, drive bearings and waterpump which are all intertwined and can wreak costly havoc). But you will enjoy the experience.

I am now toying with the reverse. Sold the Ferrari's and now have an 83 Spider (Ivory/blue) and a 74 GTV (Red/black). A different kind of fun...but STILL ITALIAN.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
For pure driving pleasure I have found that the 308GT4 with the longer wheel-base is the best all-rounder. Easy to work on and, when you are inside, a fabulous looking car.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi JF:

You'll have fun with those two. In particular, the 74 GTV is a keeper and fairly easy to add some zip to. The Spider sounds like a nice color combo. You find that both are very easy to work on...and no timing belts to speak of!:D:D:D

I see you had a Mondial T in your history. I definitely considered one of those as well. Those seem to be the most value you can purchase currently. A very nice 26,000 mile fully maintained example sold for $26K with around $3K of new parts in the trunk to boot. The GT4 is a cool old car too. The real wrench in my quest was consideration of the Montreal. I think that is likely the next Alfa to become unobtanium for the common man price wise. I would have gone down that road for similar money to the 308, but couldn't find a good one in my price range.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I cannot claim that garage as mine. She is still sitting in the PO's garage.
Did the fact that the previous owner had almost nothing in his garage or house clue you in that he had to sell it all to buy a new water pump for the 308?:D

Ok, I'll stop. Enough abuse.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I will agree on the GT4 interior styling. It is really beautiful and outclasses the later 308 GTS/B cars. In euro trim, the exterior is quite stunning as well. Just like the Alfas of the same era, the US bumpers really detract from the overall styling.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Did the fact that the previous owner had almost nothing in his garage or house clue you in that he had to sell it all to buy a new water pump for the 308?:D

Ok, I'll stop. Enough abuse.
Ha! Well if you looked in my garage, you'd think you were looking on set of the next edition of "Hoarders"!:D:D:D Speaking of which, anyone want a free 3.0L OMC/Mercruiser boat motor?:D:D:D Seriously!:D:D

I think we owners can all relate to this car's history. The guy who is selling is actually the son of the PO. He inherited the car after his father passed. I couldn't help but think of my own son being in that position one day....not any time soon mind you!:D:D She has been in the family since 94.

OH and you don't have to buy a new water pump....no....they can be....get this....rebuilt!:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thought about......<snipped>...a 300ZXTT or NSX. But thinking about insuring and maintaining....the 308 won out.
Hate to call your sanity into question in public here, but maintaining a Ferrari vs. a Nissan or Honda? Insurance I can see (308s look a lot faster than they are), but a fella once told me that Ferraris are kinda expensive to keep running.....sorry, now I'm stepping on your self rationalization. Never mind. ;)

Man, if Dad's car was a Ferrari I'd never part with it! My dad left me a leased BMW to make payments on for a year (a Z4 which was a pretty friggin' sweet car, actually! I woulda kept it if I coulda afforded the buyout).

1 - 20 of 102 Posts