Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone ID the hose that carries hot water to the heater in this photo? The manual says it's supposed to run from the engine block, but I cant find it? Thanks, D.

(PS: thanks to "Tiger" Inoue -- I cribbed his photo from an earlier thread.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
David,

It's not real visible in the picture -- the heater inlet hose goes thru the firewall on the drivers side corner of the engine. Look for it under the vacuum hose for the brake booster. Follow it back from the firewall to where it connects to the engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can anyone ID the hose that carries hot water to the heater in this photo? The manual says it's supposed to run from the engine block, but I cant find it? Thanks, D.

(PS: thanks to "Tiger" Inoue -- I cribbed his photo from an earlier thread.)
My series four has a hose from the top of the plenum that runs to the drivers side firwall, connects to the heater valve and the other side some out just to the bottom edge of the coolant bottle down low and runs along the lower edge of the rt front fender to the water pump.
I amy be wrong but it looks like you don't have the hose from the valve to the plenum but of course your car may be different. On my car this hose is the one with a short section and the 3 gold clips that comes off the top of the plenum. In the second picture the hose you mean is marked 09 09 050 and runs thru the black plastic clip. Obviously this picture is with the plenumn removed, its a bit hard to see otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow what a clean engine I have never seen a fuel pressure regulator soooo shinny. :)
Well just a little gold passive plating to bring it back like it was new! Just finished the manifold side of the engine and finally did the plug leads ect. Here is a picture of what I got back from the platers. then I just had to figure out where it all went!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Well just a little gold passive plating to bring it back like it was new! Just finished the manifold side of the engine and finally did the plug leads ect. Here is a picture of what I got back from the platers. then I just had to figure out where it all went!
MY GOD!!!,,,,,,,,,, Have you ever seen anything so beautiful? All that is missing is the treasure chest! :D:D:D

Nice work!!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apologies from the For-What-It's-Worth Dept.: The photo I attached to my first post, above, was not a photo of an S4 engine. It was a mistake. I grabbed the wrong file. To the best of my knowledge, it is a photo of an S3 engine. It appears that an S3's heater inlet hose is in a different place than that of an S4. Correct me if I am wrong, but an S4's heater inlet hose runs from the "T" above the intake plenum, then across the firewall beneath the hood latch, and then through the firewall to the heater box.

I haven't a clue where an S3's heater intake hose is.

Gold parts are nice.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Well, perhaps the photo is an S3.5? It certainly has the IAC (Idle Air Controller) of the S4 vs the AAV (Aux Air Valve) of the S3. And the S4 coolant reservoir.

Below is an S3 engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is the purpose of the short section of hose before the connection on the top of the plenum? When I replaced mine I used the long hose from IAP. Fit perfectly without needing the short section.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
David and Eric,

The picture in the first post IS of an S4. Very early S4 (like mine: Apr. '90 manufacture) has the "T" on top of the plenum chamber (as you see in the f512tr's post) and the heater inlet hose comes off of that "T". Alfa changed the heater hose configuration at some point early on during production of the S4. The picture in the first post is of the later S4 (maybe '92-on). Notice the cable-operated throttle (vs. rod/ball joints on ours).

Apologies from the For-What-It's-Worth Dept.: The photo I attached to my first post, above, was not a photo of an S4 engine. It was a mistake. I grabbed the wrong file. To the best of my knowledge, it is a photo of an S3 engine. It appears that an S3's heater inlet hose is in a different place than that of an S4. Correct me if I am wrong, but an S4's heater inlet hose runs from the "T" above the intake plenum, then across the firewall beneath the hood latch, and then through the firewall to the heater box.

I haven't a clue where an S3's heater intake hose is.

Gold parts are nice.
Well, perhaps the photo is an S3.5? It certainly has the IAC (Idle Air Controller) of the S4 vs the AAV (Aux Air Valve) of the S3. And the S4 coolant reservoir.

Below is an S3 engine bay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is the purpose of the short section of hose before the connection on the top of the plenum? When I replaced mine I used the long hose from IAP. Fit perfectly without needing the short section.
Good question. I ordered the correct hose here in the UK, put in new engine mounts and rebuilt the heater. Put it all together and after 30 minutes of driving had coolant all over my feet! The slight twisting/rocking of the engine had pulled enough on the new hose to break the plastic heater valve. The replacement hose would fit but there was to much strain on it and pressure on it as it was just a little bit to short. I added a short hose to give a little more length once I removed the heater and fixed the valve. On my car changing this hose is a HORRIBLE job requiring removal of a lot of dash panels. I just can't get in there. I am sure the hose you got from IAP is an extra 2 inches long and doesn't have this problem. Quaility control with the itailian car parts sucks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ordering the correct hose for my 82 from IAP was interesting. The catalogue called for one hose number and the online version showed a different hose number. I went with the online version. The short section of hose I had assumed was the PO fix or Alfa using the previous model hose and making it work. There did not appear to be a purpose that I could see in adding two more places for the system to leak. Replacing the hose is a real pain. I was able to do it without removing too much but getting the hose clamp back on and tightened when you barely have room for one hand is challenging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts