Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... what Alfa factory (or factories?) assembled Spiders throughout the years?

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Well... I was waiting for a real expert to step in but, my assumption was that Pininfarina assembled the cars using Alfa mechanicals. The same as with FIAT 124 Spiders. Not sure about Giulietta and Giulia Spiders although they also had the Pininfarina badges.

I know that Pininfarina also assembled the late Cadillac Allante.

Just wondering... what Alfa factory (or factories?) assembled Spiders throughout the years?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Factories

It started in Italy and has been continuing in everyone's garage ever since.
LOL.

In 1963 (?) Alfa built a factory in Arese near by Milan. This new factory replaced the old one in Portello. In 1968 Alfa Romeo built a near Naples. I think.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
LOL.

In 1963 (?) Alfa built a factory in Arese near by Milan. This new factory replaced the old one in Portello. In 1968 Alfa Romeo built a near Naples. I think.
I think you're right. The factory near Naples was built, probably with government sponsoring but I don't know the details, to create jobs in the poor south of Italy. That's where they started building the Alfasud (Alfa of the south) in 1972, and that's when "Milano" disappeared from the badges, as it was no longer exclusivley the Milano area that built Alfa's....they only built what was from then on known by many as Alfa Nords

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't know if this means anything but I recall the tha badges on my '64 read "Alfa Romeo Balonia".

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm not sure about Spider assembly from the time of the Duetto, but I do recall reading in a couple of accounts that Spiders were final-assembled by Pininfarina at their facility after receiving the cars from across town at the Arese plant. I assume Pininfarina's involvement would have been interior fitup, upholstery, carpets, body detailing and top installation.

·
Out of the office!
11,644 Posts
I'm not sure about Spider assembly from the time of the Duetto, but I do recall reading in a couple of accounts that Spiders were final-assembled by Pininfarina at their facility after receiving the cars from across town at the Arese plant. I assume Pininfarina's involvement would have been interior fitup, upholstery, carpets, body detailing and top installation.

Actually, it's the opposite. The chassis' were assembled at Pininfarina and then trucked to Arese.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right. The factory near Naples was built, probably with government sponsoring but I don't know the details, to create jobs in the poor south of Italy. That's where they started building the Alfasud (Alfa of the south) in 1972, and that's when "Milano" disappeared from the badges, as it was no longer exclusivley the Milano area that built Alfa's....they only built what was from then on known by many as Alfa Nords
I thought Milano left the badges for the '71 model year? Details, details. :p

Actually, it's the opposite. The chassis' were assembled at Pininfarina and then trucked to Arese.
Ah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Where is/was Pininfarina's production facility? Somewhere near Milano?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Pininfarina's production facility was located in Tourino, as was Bertone's facility where the coupe body shells were manufactured.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Spider S1 (Roundtail) - Pininfarina build the bodys, cars assembly at Arese
Spider S2+S3 - Build and assemble at Arese
Spider S4 - Build and assemble at Pinifarina, mechanicals build at Arese.
AlfaSud factory (near Naples) build Sud, 33, Arna only until late '90ies, since then all Alfa models have been build there.
Arese is still headquarter, Centro Stile, development, museum etc.
Erik

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not sure for years other than 1971, but in that year I visited Alfa and saw the fully finished Spider bodies being trucked in and saw the mechanicals being installed. I would think that was the procedure every year.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I thought Milano left the badges for the '71 model year? Details, details. :p
You could very well be right....i just have '72 stuck in my head and was/still am too lazy to go look it up to be absolutely sure:):)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Interesting facts, and I appreciate the feedback! I did have that turned around I suppose. Then the mechanicals were installed at Arese after the bodies and interiors were done, presumably.

Thanks for the info on the location of the plant, also. My first and last trip to Italia was long ago, and we did not hit Milan nor (sadly), Maranello. I'm taking the crowd though, in the next 2 or 3 years, and we'll stay long enough to see all the good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts