Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, I'm back for a quick little update. Had a few free minutes so I decided to give it a shot to pull the car out of the yard. Simple sling around the rear axle and it pretty much came out without fan fair. Only 2 issues, the driver front wheel is frozen so I need to free that up. (Any special tips?) and the steering wheel doesnt turn because of the collapsed windshield frame. The steering wheel is bent so it only turns 180 degrees or so and then contact the mangled frame. Need to correct that before I can steer it into the garage.

I snapped a few very quick pictures to show the condition of the fender well as a general example of what it looks like under the car. Again looks to be fairly clean under here so I think this is seen restoration work in the fairly near term past. Thoughts on what you experts see? Are these Koni shocks based on the color alone? Any other red body shocks for these out there?

Also I am excited about the general level of input here again, I'm clearly in the right spot for once I start to actual play with this.

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had the windshield frame for you! I kept this 1966 Duetto part around for years and years.
View attachment 1628263

After trying to give it away, it finally got tossed just last year. Sorry about that.

Have fun with your project!

Jeff
Oh man that's exactly what I need! I fear I wont actually find one and will need to do some chopping and straitening and welding mine back into shape. How is this actually attached? I assume its welded in? I need to figure out the best way to at least get some clearance to the steering column in mine. But if I could just remove it for now I would go that route as it would give me the room I need for now. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Doesn't look too bad from what you show. Can you knock the retaining pins out of the caliper and try and pull the brake pads out and see if that frees up the wheel?

If a tree falls on an Alfa, does anyone hear it?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I'm pretty excited you were able to use the front jack point to jack it up with. Pads are likely rusted to the rotor, should free up without too much effort.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The screen frame is not very strong. I would put a load spreader on the footwells and then jack it up to get the clearance you require.

Removal is only possible by cutting it out, if you go this route then cut it at the base of the frame I would suggest. Depends a little on your scuttle, is that damaged ?

IMG_4714.JPG

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got some help last night and pulled the spider into the garage and took the old canvas off to take a look at how destroyed the top is. Short answer is VERY. Certainly will be going topless for a while but obviously a crazy amount of work in front of me on many other topics. I'll start cleaning up the glass and get into a more thorough inspection at some point.

At least for now I don't have to stress about rain...

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here's a quick photo story in sketchy experimental body work. Was much more successful than I anticipated, although still need to pull the corner forward some so the door closes without a ton of window pressure. Also took the mangled roof assembly off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
OMG, a picture of a Miata!! Heresy!! LOL. Originally I was also going to suggest cutting off the windshield, but he's has done such a good job of straightening that it looks repairable. Just a come-along and an angle iron brace for the verticle arm and I bet he can get a windshield in. I phone checked a no-name windshield shop for an Alfa windshield and they quoted $250 installed...can't be too expensive!! Just FYI!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When I first looked at the car I was pretty positive I was going to go the because racecar route, at least until I could find a graphable frame section. But honestly this took 10 minutes and made me pretty confident I will be able to get it into a workable shape with not a terrible amount of effort.

The roof is very possibly permanent deleted, or at least its last on the list. The sun is always shining here in upstate NY so what do I have to worry about!

·
Registered
383 Posts
How about adding a generalish location to your profile....like a close googable city in case we come your way?? Don't know if Watkins Glen will happen this year, but it's on my list!!!

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fair enough, I'll be hanging out here quite a bit based on the amount of work in front of me. The Glen is about 3.5 hours from me and if I succeed in getting this road worthy again I'd love to show it off at the vintage festival one September. Limerock is only about 1.5 hours so that is more likely to be a first stop :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
It looks to me like only one of the six cast pieces for the top is broken. Much of that top frame is restorable. Don't toss it!

·
Registered
1969 Spider Project
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Don't worry, I'm genetically incapable of throwing old car parts out. So it's only going as far as the garage rafters!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Call Mike Besic at Besic Motorsports (Google him) in Chicago. He's built a few Duetto race cars and chopped the windshield frames. He may have one you can section in.

·
Super Moderator
10,931 Posts
When I first looked at the car I was pretty positive I was going to go the because racecar route, at least until I could find a graphable frame section. But honestly this took 10 minutes and made me pretty confident I will be able to get it into a workable shape with not a terrible amount of effort.
You're not done until you have glass & gasket nicely seated in the windshield frame. It might look right to your eye, but there are a lot of curves that have to be the right shape in three dimensions to get the glass to go in OK. Dunno whether straightening your damaged windshield frame or cutting it off and welding in an undamaged replacement will work out better.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts