Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I remember reading some guidance about jack stand placement before, but search isn't really helping me in locating it quickly.]

I plan to replace my front shocks and would like advice about

• Where to position the floor jack in order to jack up the front of my Spider?
  • Where to position the jack stands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello,
Not 100% sure on a spider but on a 73 US GTV I do this:

Drive forward up onto ramps.

Use a floor jack under the front cross car body structure that runs between the lower suspension inboard mount points. I also use a big flat oak board between the jack and the car to distribute the load out around the ends of that structure. I've never done it without this load distribution plate (oak board) as I worry that it would dent the cross car structure without it.

Jack it up a bit and carefully swap the ramps for jack stands placed under the factory jack points just behind the front wheels. Very carefully lower back onto the jack stands making sure that it is sitting on the stands correctly.

Being a total novice… paranoid about damaging the little monster and/or dropping the thing on my toe or worse... I did a similar front shock swap and had to repeat my lifting process way to many times! I found the above to be quick and relatively safe. But, I can make no claim that this is correct. Be careful.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Very carefully lower back onto the jack stands making sure that it is sitting on the stands correctly.
That's where I put the stands as well. Two thoughts:

- An experienced mechanic once told me to never support a car by its suspension; i.e., with the stands under the front spring pans. Since those parts can move relative to the car, a stand located there could slip if the car is jostled.

- Once I have the car up on the stands, but before the wheels come off, I give it a shove for all I'm worth. Better I find out that something is unstable then, than when I'm lying under it applying torque to something.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have previously used a front jack point when pulling off one front wheel at a time, but was curious whether there were other safe options. I got my answer.

Thanks for the advice 73GTVRich and Alfajay!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have any front jacking points on my 71 Spider, I guess they were not available when it was restored 25 years ago and never noticed at the time. So I tend to put axle stands under the chassis rails as they seem to be the most solid part. Not had any problems so far.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I am OK with using the jacking points, providing they are not ROTTEN. They are easily crushed flat in this case. Also if an early car with under floor mounted brake and clutch master cylinders (and floor hinged pedals) watch out for the metal covers over both of these cylinders...they can look like frame rails, if undercoated like the rest of the chassis, but are decidedly NOT jacking points !

If I remove the front wheels, I always slide them under the car either side, to act as further protection in the event the car comes off the jack. I also chock both rear wheels. Safety first, after all !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts