Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1972 GT 1300 Junior with 2L engine, 2001 916 GTV 2.0L Twin Spark
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some topics around this question but somehow I didn't find an answer yet.

My 1972 Bertone doesn't have the front jacking points anymore. I am wondering what the best place is to place axle stands? When I jack up my car at the front I place the jack under the lower wishbone where it is connected with the upright, so I cannot really use the uprights anymore for the axle stands.

At the back jack up my car on the differential, but I not too confident to place the axle stands under the jacking points (and then get under the car). Are there alternative places to put the stands at the rear? Can I place them under the tubes where the driveshafts go through? If so, then where (I imagine if I place them in the middle the tubes may bend/dent)?

Any example photos will be helpful.

·
Registered
744 Posts
They don't call them axle stands for nothing, anywhere under the rear axle tube is fine,the only thing you will hurt is the dirt and road grime that is there. In the front with your jacking points gone I'd probably place them under the front cross member with a a small piece of wood for protection on top of the stands . Regards John.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I use wood ‘filler’ strips and place the stands under the forward ‘stub’ rails. This keeps the stands out of the way for any brake/suspension work.

I used flat top jack stands here and traditional axle stands in the rear ( w a Thin pad to protect the axle shaft paint).

John

·
Registered
1972 GT 1300 Junior with 2L engine, 2001 916 GTV 2.0L Twin Spark
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. Do you have any photos of the front?
I guess I need to jack up the car under the cross member as well. Do you have any special jacks for that since the cross member is really low to ground?

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Drive your car up on to 4x2 wood to get a jack underneath. I have 2 long pieces just for this purpose for my 156v6.

Pete

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
My jack is 3” fully down which is
Low enough to get under the car. Using a 18” long pair of 2x10 “ramps” is also an good one as I have another car that only has 2.25” of front ground clearance (I really should use an old fashioned formula car jacks).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts