Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me resolve an electrical issue on my 1974 RHD GTV 2000. Left side brake light is intermittently dim and left-side indicator is not working (well, it occassionally flashes once then stops). I am putting this down to a bad earth but unsure where to look/test. Can anyone advise please? Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rear light usually the earth to body lead . Give it a good wiggle :)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If you look inside the boot at the tail light unit you will see a black wire running from the body of the light unit to the body of the car, usually using one of the attaching bolts for the light unit itself.
sometimes the bulb holder can be corroded, as can the wiring connectors. Clean everything up with some emery paper, make sure the connectors and earth is tight, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There is no physical ground wire for the big tail light assemblies in the 2000 GTV. The grounds for the three bulbs are bussed by a metal strap that is connected to the bottom of the three bulb sockets and then to one of the assembly’s mounting points on the body. The mounting point typically corrodes from water getting between the rubber gasket for the.light assembly and the body. Clean this ground contact point, nut and washer of any corrosion. Even better, add a ground wire from the bus bar to the trunk latch mounting bracket, which shouldn’t be prone to corrosion.

Besides cleaning the insides of the bulb sockets, check the bulbs themselves, especially the soldered end tip. Make sure the tip has a smooth, flat contact point and if necessary, file down if it’s rough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Followed your advice and cleaned two earth contacts near boot latch as photo (much better but not perfect) then two points where metal strap of rear light cluster grounds to car and bingo! good as new. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts