Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Where to Jack my Spider?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ecohen2 
#1 ·
While I was looking to purchase the spider, one of the owners with which I talked indicated that is was problem to jack the car where the manufacturer indicated. The result was buckling of some part of the body. I have looked and find no reference to this issue on this forum. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem with 87’s and if so, where should I and where should I not jack the car.

#2 ·
having just removed the engine and trans from my 87, i can say that the jacking points behind the front wheels and infront of the rears were quite strong, and the doors could still be opened while on jack stands. there is not alot of space between the body and quad skirts to get a large jack on these points without damage. this also assumes that rust is not an issue as these points could be severly weakened. i have also routinly jacked at the front crossmember, and under the rear differential with a block of wood on the jack as a cusion not to damage the casting. don't get under anything supported only on a jack!!!

#3 ·
OK. Thanks, this is good to know. Good safety tip add-on about working under jacks, while I forget the occasional “it” in a sentence- I never forget jack stands.

#4 · (Edited)
I found a thread on this forum on jacking and the image below (Where I got it from I can't remember--any help, so I can credit the source?)

Note: I also place some 6" x 6" x 12" wood blocks stacked and cris-crossed (in pairs) in strategic places - yeah, I'm paranoid.

Attachments

#5 ·
Ill add to this question.

If I want to lift the whole rear end of the car to put jack stands under both sides I have been doing it from the rear differential. Is that ok?

And if I wanted to do the same for the front is there a place?

Thanks,
Ed

#7 ·
ecohen2 said:
Ill add to this question.

If I want to lift the whole rear end of the car to put jack stands under both sides I have been doing it from the rear differential. Is that ok?

And if I wanted to do the same for the front is there a place?

Thanks,
Ed
It's fine, but use a block of wood to save the fins on the bottom of the differential sump. As for the front, some people jack by the cross-member (with a block of wood to distribute the load) and some by the springpans (although you'd need two jacks). Look up "jack" on this website, and you'll find lot's of folks' opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.