Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Disnyguy,

Like you, I didn't want to install a manual choke system on my 1988 Spider when I discovered my AAV wasn't fully closing when heated (nor was it the correct AAV part number for my car).

I searched eBay for months for a Bosch 0280140140 (correct p/n for my model and year) and never saw one pop up.

A Google search for the same Bosch AAV number turned up a couple of domestic online Auto Parts Stores that claimed they had one, but after ordering one and waiting a week I was discouraged to learn that they actually didn't really have one (and I had to request a refund of my money).

The way I was finally able to obtain one was to list my want/need in the Classified forum of this BB. Two wonderful members offered me used ones, and although I had no way of knowing the quality of those used AAVs, I bought them anyway, tested them, and found one that worked a little better than the one on my car. You may want to give this route a try.

Are you sure yours is kaput? I assume you have given it the freezer test (to see if it was open at all when cold), but have you tried blasting it/soaking it several times with carb cleaner and then shaking the bejesus out of it?

How about the oven test to see if it closes completely at about 150 degrees F? I prefer to us the 12V test (by applying 12V to the two contacts for a couple of hours) to see if the barrel gets warm and the wiper plate closes (to stop the flow of air thru the tubes). If you decide to try this method, I suggest you use a fuel injection plug pigtail to apply the 12V because the two contacts on the AAV's connector are very close together.

What is the exact type of problem you are having with yours? Does it not open at cold temps or does it not close at high temps? Does the internal wiper plate seem to be stuck in one position?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned it very well then did all three test freezer,heat,and applying voltage to the AAV but to no luck to is closed. That is why I am looking for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Try searching for 0280140188. Fits the Milano & other European cars and it won't raise the cold idle speed. Got a new one on ebay 6 months ago for $80.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts