Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I have near no experience with Alfa Romeo cars but I'm still interested in them, with that being said...

I found a 1976 Spider for sale near me for $2,000 dollars, but there is a pretty big elephant in the room. It's missing the entire windshield. I was just wondering if anyone would possibly know how much that might cost to replace and where to look or what type of people to ask to find one.

Also, it says the tires are shot, any estimate on that would be helpful too.

(Heres the link since someone asked for it)

Thanks

PS. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My local Safelite dealer says he can get them. You will need a new rubber gasket also and those are available.
Just installed a windshield in my car yesterday.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Most tire dealers will have some 185/70 14 tires available. There are numerous threads on tire replacement here the BB. You should be able to find a set for less than $500 if you're not looking for classic tires.

Before you buy it sink a lot of money into the car, does it run? Is anything else wrong with it? Any rust?

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
It's missing the entire windshield.
Please be more specific. Is it just missing the glass? Or did some yahoo cut off the whole windshield frame with a Sawzall? Just replacing the glass shouldn't be a big deal, but if you need to undo modifications done by a PO, the car just won't be worth it. '76 spiders are not that scarce.

it says the tires are shot, any estimate on that would be helpful too.
While Pirelli CN36 185/70-VR14's from Longstone Tyres would keep the car period correct, they'll set you back $164 apiece. Inexpensive Asian tires from your local tire store may be more appropriate for a $2,000 car.

(If anyone wants to look at the link to see if its even worth tell me in the comments)
What link?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know someone that might still have a good used spider windshield available and I think that he would be willing to ship it if he does.

·
Registered
483 Posts
JaredW..It might help us help you if you would put your location in your signature. But here in Northern California I know of at least 5 auto window repair shops that can easily get a windshield for a spider.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jared - I have a good used windshield that I would be willing to sell. Since you're new on the forum, you can't send a PM yet. Let me know if you're interested by replying here in the thread, and we can discuss. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Alfajay

Just the glass is missing from the windshield and no modifications as the eye can see so far, and I'd have to research more on the tires before I decide but thanks for the info and here's the link

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
That's a $500 parts car. Believe me, the "big elephant in the room" isn't the missing windshield; it's the amount of rust this thing has and the fact that it hasn't run in years. If you want to actually drive an Alfa Romeo, you'll be on the road sooner and cheaper by starting with something better.

Reactions: Backto105

·
Registered
557 Posts
That’s some sound advice
That's a $500 parts car. If you want to actually drive an Alfa Romeo, you'll be on the road sooner and cheaper by starting with something better.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Alfajay has it right. Don’t buy this car with the hopes of getting on the road. While possible, it will be a lot of time and a lot of money.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think tyres and windshield are probably the last things to think about on that one

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I am a beginner in project cars and fixing old cars, can you give some more insight in to why it most likely will never run again? I get that there's rust and that giant gaping hole in the spare tire area, but I didn't think that area would effect the functionality of the car. Also, if there's some key things to look for when trying to find a good Alfa.

Again, thanks for all the help so far.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
JaredW said:
can you give some more insight in to why it most likely will never run again?
A fair question to ask. Let me come at it from three directions:

#1, every picture you posted shows an area that needs massive work. The body has been structurally weakened by rust and will take thousands of dollars to make safe - not pretty, just safe. If you want to paint it, the bill will get into the five figures. The interior has been destroyed by moisture and needs replacing. It needs a new top. The engine looks like it hasn't run in years, and is in unknown condition. You will certainly need to rebuild one or more of the mechanical systems: engine, suspension, driveline, cooling system, ..... After all this, paying $2,000 (or $500 or zero) for this car isn't much of a bargain, since running & driving '76 spiders can be had for < $10K.

#2, let's say you ignore our advice and buy this car. Let's say you perform all the labor yourself, so your only expense is parts (lots of parts). After hundreds of hours of effort and perhaps years of elapsed time, you get it on the road. You're always going to look at the car and say "gee, after all that effort I wish I had started with a better example". No matter how much love you put into this, it will never be a great car.

#3, the previous owner was obviously an idiot. Anyone who would paint a red car entirely white - including the rubber bumpers and inside the trunk, but didn't bother to paint the underhood area - is a butcher. You don't want to fix all the other messes that guy left behind.

I get that there's rust and that giant gaping hole in the spare tire area, but I didn't think that area would effect the functionality of the car. Also, if there's some key things to look for when trying to find a good Alfa.
The seller admits "has rust in trunk spare tire well , rockers and floor boards" Since this is a unibody car, rust does effect the functionality; the "rockers" are the frame in these cars. Most likely this car is structurally compromised and can't be safely driven as-is.

Key things to look for are minimal rust damage and a car you can test drive. With a driver, even if the engine is running on 3 cylinders, the brakes pull to one side and the "GEN" light is on, at least you know what you're getting into and can adjust your offer accordingly.

Reactions: willg227

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the insight and help. I'm glad now that I didn't decide on buying it and I'll take your advice and make sure I get an Alfa that is at least driveable. Hopefully one will pop up soon. On that note do you have any idea were I should be looking or where one might pop up?

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Rust is really the biggest thing. Rocker rust especially.
Places to look might be with your local Alfa club. The for sale section here. Craigslist and eBay are fine, just be really wary of rust, if you see some there is likely way more that you can’t see.
I agree with Alfajay, don’t buy a non runner.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Buy the best Alfa you can afford

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Schuey

The problem is that this is kinda near the best Alfa I can afford.

Also, general question about rust on the rockers and floorboards, when is an amount of rust considered too much?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts