Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the cable from the pedal to the firewall linkage. I just bought the cable listed at IAP, and it is the firewall to the throttle body cable. Looking, I don't see the other one listed anywhere? Can I buy this, or is this something I have to make?

Tia!

Tom

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
What cable are you talking about? Are you talking about the hand throttle cable with the knob on the end of the center console? If so, that's NLA. Try Alfa Part Exchange for a salvage part.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,619 Posts
If indeed it is what some call the fast idle, throttle cable, the used ones you usually get don't snap into the console but a small hose clamp will hold it in. You can also file a 6mm bolt flat on one side and drill a hole through it to clamp it at the other end so it will pull the arm with the hole in it back.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
What cable are you talking about?
Tom:

As Roadtrip writes, your problem isn't completely clear:

- What part did you buy from IAP? Their part # 5101 pictured below? That one connects the pedal to the Spica bellcrank - is that what you need?

- What problem did you have with the part you received? How did it not fit?

- Did you call IAP, and ask them about this problem? If so, what did they say?

- If the problem can't be described in words, how about providing a photo that shows it?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but until we understand the problem, it's tough to suggest a solution.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
The cables shown above that they are selling now don't have the sphere on the end but hemisphere and a smaller protursion comming off the flat side of the hemisphere which keeps it from going into the bellcrank. I've gotten two from two different vendors and they were from the same manunfacturer that made the old ones that used to fit. I had to grind down the protrusion to get it to fit. fyi.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I installed a new one when I did my restoration and that was back around '03 or so. Anyway, the new after market cable failed on me after about 20,000 miles and would have left me stranded in the Sierra foothills if a friend didn't just happen to pass by. It was a Saturday and although I had earlier been cursing the Harley riders that were clogging up a nice twisty bit of mountain road on the way up there, it was A Harley shop in Sonora where I found a suitable replacement cable.

That was probably five years ago and it's still on there.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
my ex was driving home from school at night many many years ago and the throttle cable broke. She took her panty hose off and tied one end to the bell crank and passed the hose into the car and used that as a hand throttle to get home.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, going back and reviewing the situation, I think I found the root cause of the issue. I had popped the hood on the car, to do some work to prepare the car for some summer driving. Looked down and saw the frayed cable connected to the throttle linkage on the driver's side. Without pausing to pull my head from my ***, I whipped out my card and ran to the the computer and started ordering stuff. Of course now that I go look at the car, I recieved exactly what I ordered. So, in short, I am an idiot! I was looking at the end of the cable for the hand throttle and jumped to a conclusion.

It did give me an excuse to buy some new brake lines, though.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Wish I had a dollar for every time I've done that:)

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
I installed a new one when I did my restoration and that was back around '03 or so. Anyway, the new after market cable failed on me after about 20,000 miles and .......
When installing replacement throttle cables, don't tighten the pinch nut that holds the cable to the throttle arm too much. If you really crank it down, the cable will break prematurely.

And, of course, if you don't have a ground strap, and the "-" path from the starter has to go through the throttle cable, it will fail very prematurely!

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
and most excitably!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts