Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Please tell me where is the correct place to fit the Flasher! My fuse box is underneath the dash on the inside of the car.

can a 3 pin Flasher like this one be wired up to do emergency flashing? I would like to fit an extra switch to allow me to do this. Any electric schematic to wire this up will be helpful and very much appreciated!:D

Thanks
fgc
1967 spider

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Osso - your picture (other than reminding me how 'old' my car looks compared to yours) reminds me that I should replace my heater air ducting. Where did you get your ducting from / what did you use?

THanks

·
Out of the office!
11,169 Posts
NikosF said:
Osso - your picture (other than reminding me how 'old' my car looks compared to yours) reminds me that I should replace my heater air ducting. Where did you get your ducting from / what did you use?

THanks
The short ones I salvaged from another car and are in really great shape. The long ones are NOS. I found them at a dealership more than ten years ago. I think Centerline sells them. I am sure you can source them in Europe.

·
Registered
770 Posts
fgc,
does the duetto have the same heater control panel under the dash as the 69's do? If so then are you trying to bypass the flasher switch on that panel? On my 69 I completely removed the two relays and now can use a single flasher and half a bridge rectifier to have both turn and emergency flashers. really simplifies the wiring as well as modernizing a little. I can send you a schematic if youd like.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

Say can someone else other than Osso please post pictures of their cars when illustrating something? His pictures shows alot of things that I dont see in mine or other peoples cars. For example, I thought that all wires on the car came wraped in brown insulation from factory? I see all kinds of colors in his pic. obviously not stock or was it a factory optional extra??!! :D

Osso, (having put on sun glasses to avoid being blinded by the white underside of your dash) is there a tab or mounting hole/bracket on the steering column to attach the Flasher? Or do I have to fabricate something? (will take a peek this weekend)

Alfadan, will greatly appreciate the schematic for the flasher! :D My car, having lived for the last 30+ yrs in the tropics had all its heating stuff gutted by the PO so I have no switch etc. I will have to buy one.

Thanks all :D
fgc
1967 spider

·
Out of the office!
11,169 Posts
fgc said:
His pictures shows alot of things that I dont see in mine or other peoples cars. For example, I thought that all wires on the car came wraped in brown insulation from factory? I see all kinds of colors in his pic. obviously not stock or was it a factory optional extra??!! :D
I may be the only one with pictures at his finger tips. I have my digital camera handy when I work on my car. The wires are stock. The kind you are describing didn't come on the Duettos.

fgc said:
Osso, (having put on sun glasses to avoid being blinded by the white underside of your dash) is there a tab or mounting hole/bracket on the steering column to attach the Flasher? Or do I have to fabricate something? (will take a peek this weekend)
Sorry for the brightness. :D The flasher that I pulled off clips into a bracket that is fastened to the sterring column mount. I have seen other flashers held to the steering column mount with just a sheet metal screw.

I find it interesting that your car has the fuse box mounted under the dash. I've not seen that on a 1600. Does anybody else have this configuration?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My duetto looks like Osso's will 40 odd years after he's started driving it :D

Mine also uses the 'alternative' mounting point for the flasher unit - bound to the steering column with a long cable tie.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ossodiseppia said:
...The wires are stock. The kind you are describing didn't come on the Duettos.

I find it interesting that your car has the fuse box mounted under the dash. I've not seen that on a 1600. Does anybody else have this configuration?
Osso... you are right about the wires... the whole bunch came from the PO's mechanic's "factory"! haha :D :rolleyes: When I rebuilt my wire harness 2 yrs back from scratch I discovered many additions. anyway since I was only going to do this once, I used Teflon insulated wires! :D got them cheap. Took me 3 days to copy build and install them. they will last me for the next 30 yrs probably! :rolleyes:

I think I will make a springy C clip and clip the Flasher to the steering column. Thanks for the photo and ideas.

My spider is a little weird... I think it is a transitional year spider. Many of the details are original to a RHD 1750 so I think that it is not an engine transplant job. eg it came with the later bigger ATE brakes from the later cars with single lockheed booster, the dash layout is 1750. Discovered that even the handbrake handle is different too! It seems that the 1750 is kink not straight. The axle ratio is also 1750. The fuse box is mounted on the inside under dash. (I cannot remember now, I may be wrong) but I think there is some slight difference in the 1600 and 1750 fuse box and wiring itself. the steering wheel is the 1750 3 spoke wheel but is the earlier thinner plastic rim type. All jaeger instruments had the same Feb 67 printed on their back but the Tacho red line is correct for the 1750 not the 1600. The front anti-roll bar is larger and the bushes are of the later type not the 1600 design. It also has built in rear anti-roll bars which I think is not on the 1600. The rear trailing arms bushes are of unequal size which I am told dates this to 1966 because they switched to equal sized bushes in 1967. Again this is not just a swap job bec the chassis rail will not take the equal sized trailing arm (tried fitting a spare one that I salvaged off a later car but the mounting holes will not line up). It has too many components swap from a 1750 that I guess only a really dedicated "nut" :rolleyes: would do or it came that way??

So it is an interesting car. Who knows what it really is other than it drives nice, gives me a nice tan and pulls the birds (droppings mainly).:p

fgc
67 spider

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ossodiseppia said:
See photo.
with 2200 photo's you ought to get together with somebody and do a book, i'd buy it.

i don't suppose you have a picture of the heater valve, i'll be buggered if can find mine, turn it on or get warm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts