Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 1961 build Spider Normale has no windscreen washer system fitted but there are clips for the bag on the firewall within the engine bay. I am puzzled however that there is no reference to any switch or plunger button within the ****pit in the owners (genuine not a reprint) handbook nor do I see any holes on the dash to accomodate a means of using windscreen washers.
Is anyone able to tell me whether washers were an option in `61 and if not what means of activation was used and where in the ****pit the control was located.
Just completed 1600kms of trouble free running, largely with the top down, as part of a magnificent event - The Classic Alpine Tour here in New Zealand but it would have been great to have working windscreen washers to wipe the dead insects from the windscreen while still mobile rather than waiting for a fuel stop.
The trip also reiterated the value of fitting the original sized tyres - Pirelli Cinturatos 155 x 15`s which transformed the car previously fitted with 185 x 65 x 15 Michelin MX4`s fitted by the previous US owner.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi Richard

Just bored so started looking at abb...always a distraction...

At least on my sprint the actuator for the washer system was on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal - LHD sprint. From memory, 60 years ago the pump was simply a piston pumping water to screen washers from bag....

Others will know better....

Richard

·
Registered
785 Posts
Do you have two small holes in front of your windshield for your squirters near your wipers? Or can you see those deep under your dash viewed from underneath inside the Spider? If the car was repainted at some point, those holes may have been filled in. Are there loose wires with push on connectors on the driver side footwell near the high beam foot switch? Is there a larger hole in the rubber mat near that? That’s where your washer foot switch would be.

if you have the clips for your washer fluid bag, your car probably had it originally with everything attached. The foot pump button (my ‘61 is a Foredit) may have failed at some point in its past and was pulled out for repair. I can’t imagine that NOT being a very important safety part installed by Alfa, but I’m sure Greig would know of any anomalies.

This was my first Alfa restoration, so I went by the straightest, most logical (to me) path in or out for my original cables and oil pressure line through the firewall. As Uncle has expressed, most of these are like child’s puzzles. Many “ah ha!” moments along the way.

I’ve seen some Giulietta firewall photos (original-looking installations & not) with the clear washer bag hose going through one of the clam shell seals. Mine has a separate hole with a rubber grommet left of the brake fluid reservoir for it that deposits the inlet hose just above the foot switch. That rubber hose has a larger I.D. & O.D. by the way. The outlet hose from the other port goes to a plastic T above the steering column, then to the two chrome squirters. I would think since you have wipers, your ‘61 would have had all of that from the factory. I’m guessing the squirters holes got body filler at some point if you don’t see them now. Easily spotted from underneath.

Hope that helps and wasn’t misinformation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My 62 is long gone, but I do not remember it having windshield washer.

For washers, what is on a Sprint is irrelevant to what is on a Spider.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Spider windscreen washers are shown for the first time in the 10/1961 supplement to the owner manual. I suspect they were probably added at around this time.
Joe

·
Registered
785 Posts
750s never had them? Mine is a 12/61 so that makes sense. I’m surprised. If one had dust or mud, or slush thrown onto their windshield they were kind of out of luck I guess.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks to all of you. Our car is a late `61 build and does indeed have the squirters in the front of the screen but it has nothing else of the system apart from the clips for the bag on the firewall. I wondered if it was the remnants of some aftermarket system the car had. The system from the information you have provided looks like an early version of the system on our 105 cars (we have a `70 GTJ, `74 GTV 2000, `65 Giulia Ti, and `71 Spider). The handbook, published in 1961 makes no mention at all about the windscreen washers so obviously published within that transition period.
Does the floor switch operate like the 105`s and not only gets the squirt going but operates the wipers at the same time? I`ve always thought what a great idea which works very effectively and wondered why it wasn`t copied more. The firewall/floor always seemed a great position for the switch too.
I shall now look for the wiring and check if I have a spare (and working) switch for the 105`s within my boxes of spares.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi Richard

Yes, the foot wiper pump also activates the wipers, can't remember if one push, one or more wipes

Richard....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Richard & all,

If I'm correct there were no hand pumps on the Spider, only foot pumps.
There were two brands: Foredit and Inteuropa, see foto. late Giulietta catalog and 101 Giulia 1600 catalog show the same picture.
Look for two little holes for the 'Parker' screws in the left corner, I guess there was no sort of support for the foot pump but others may correct me on this.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
785 Posts
This photo was taken last spring during one of many COVID isolation weekends...it shows my Foredit pump location at the upper left behind the insulation mat. The parts manual doesn’t accurately show the hoses’ true path. I have the Giulia book, but I really wish I had one of those late-print Giulietta parts books that could have filled in some answers about which I had so many questions.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts