Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through the spica on my ‘76, and putting in the sure start. Being the first time I’ve really looked at it on my car, the unit seems generally cleaner and newer lookIng than the rest of my greasy engine.

I had always assumed it was an all original motor, but now I’m wondering if the spica has been rebuilt at some point.

I know Ingram marks the units he’s rebuilt. Where would I find such a mark if it existed and what would it look like?

cheers

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
his marking is an interjoined IE for Ingram Enterprises.
like here
ingram markings.jpg

or
ingram.jpg

this was another rebuilder's mark (not Wes)
rebuilder.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
I think the last one is how Alfa Romeo Inc. marked their rebuilds.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Wow ! I have one of those - actually one of each Wes and the EXT Mark — thanks Jim - have been wondering about that —

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
All of ARI's were done on exchange.

I remember meeting the guy that did the rebuilds of them when I went to one of the tech training classes and remember him stamping something it that spot.

In talking to him about rebuilding them. He gave me a list of part numbers for all the replaceable parts in the pump. A lot of which were not in the parts books. Not that it it would do much good today and the list has since disappeared.

Reactions: goats

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Was his first name Frank? Reason I ask is one of my local guys has a SPICA specific toolbox that was his - and he worked with Danny wells in Poway CA —

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
I don't think so. The guy I met was here on east coast. From what I understood they had a person at each warehouse rebuilding them until ARDONA shut down the west coast one.

I have meet Danny over the phone and internet when I bought a bunch of parts and special tools from him years ago.

He told me at that time he had to repossess his shop that he sold.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Wow small world. I’ve know Danny for 30 years, and wife has known him for 40 or so. His shop was about 5 miles from me and I had a lot of work done there. When he closed shop, I knew about the tools but wasn’t that invested in Alfa’s to buy em! He is doing well living in Arizona just over the CA border, retired but still doing car stuff. I’ll probably head out to visit him for an afternoon in the spring-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts