Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest find on the 87 Spider turns out to be a homemade rear sway bar. Constructed from 1/2" steel rod, I have to believe it didn't make much of a difference in the handling. The way it hung down the p.o. probably caught every plastic shopping bag blowing across the road. The innovative use of interior door hinges as shims is what really caught my eye. Just when you think you've seen it all.....
sway bar mount 001.jpg

sway bar mount 002.jpg

sway bar mount 004.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Hahahahaha!!

Why did you remove that? The door hinges must have added an additional 20mph to your top speed!! You just have to love all the previous owner mods that reveal themselves after time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The PO was obviously not an Alfista: they spared no expense in using 2 door hinges. An Alfista would have just used one. Maybe you need to look for the other sets of hinges.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
My latest PO discovery on my 71 spider is that a starter shoulder bolt had been replaced with an American threaded bolt. Forced the starter to sit at an angle and did my flywheel no good at all. My mechanic found it while replacing my clutch for me (yeah I'm lazy). How the hell did the original bolt get lost??

The previous find was that one of my guibo nuts had been replaced with a lug nut. I found that one myself.

I can never decide whether or not to be angry. On one hand, without the Yankee ingenuity my car might have gone to the scrapyard somewhere in the last 40 years..... on the other hand what was the cheap b*#tard thinking??

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
If you want to see how these kind of things happen...
See the 'Timing chain tensioner bolt' thread in the spider section.
Lots of suggestions from members on how to botch up the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Not sure this beats your sway bar find but probably comes pretty close:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/48074-crude-primative-pete-164-maintenance.html

We did save that 164L and my son ended up selling it to a lady in NY and her bud fly down and drove it home for her.

Just in case you need some more crazyness of stuff I find here is another 164L story of non-professional non repair work and this car also was sold by my son after we got it straightened out.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/157288-164-ac-non-repair-beyond-me.html

Trying to saved the world one Alfa 164 at a time has become a hobby of mine in my wanning years.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Before you guys poo-poo that bar too quickly, that's almost exactly how the rear sway bar on the 164 is set up...bolts right to the trailing arms just forward of strut/spring line. Granted it's a different rear suspension design but concept still applies to trailing arm movement, and methinks that it would have an effect on handling.

Question is why add on a reasonable street car. This looks more LeMons worthy as an additional swaybar to stock offerings.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Not sure the twisting action on 164 with independant rear suspension sway bar set up (design) really translates same way to Spiders live axle set up. Live axle set up has bar bolted to chassis.

Maybe it is the door hinge spacers that make all the engineering work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts