Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
One wonders why you are taking them out??

There are other threads about this, do a search, but the most likely place to get is from a scrapped head.

Good luck

Ken

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One wonders why you are taking them out??

There are other threads about this, do a search, but the most likely place to get is from a scrapped head.

Good luck

Ken
Thanks Ken.
As I tightened the nuts I could not get to the proper torque and it seemed as though the stud was rising so now I've boogered it. I'll search for other threads about this.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
coarse or fine?
If you are going to put inserts in then go Fine Thread. The coarse thread is needed if into the Aluminum head material.

k

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to re-cut the thread but to same affect - kept rising until it came out :(. Do I dare ask, Heli-Coil or Time-Sert? The engine is in the car and I'd like to keep it there, if that helps.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I was able to re-cut the thread but to same affect - kept rising until it came out :(. Do I dare ask, Heli-Coil or Time-Sert? The engine is in the car and I'd like to keep it there, if that helps.

Thanks all.
re-cut What thread, in the head or on the stud in post 1. I hope you didn't re cut the stud thread. I think you carefully aligned your cutter (was it a correct die??) and cleaned the stud's threads of aluminum. As for the head if that is what you are talking about, then if the stud in post 1 came from the location you say you recut then there was nothing there to recut as all the aluminum was on that stud. You seem to not have an understanding of how machine fasteners work.

how many studs have pulled their threads out of the head. What is the proper torque do you think?

Yes you will have the Heli coil or the like to fix the threads in the head as others here have suggested. And if you don't know how to do that properly you will be looking at head replacement if you screw up the heli coil repair and say get the insert in on an angle not straight.

k

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
re-cut What thread, in the head or on the stud in post 1. I hope you didn't re cut the stud thread. I think you carefully aligned your cutter (was it a correct die??) and cleaned the stud's threads of aluminum. As for the head if that is what you are talking about, then if the stud in post 1 came from the location you say you recut then there was nothing there to recut as all the aluminum was on that stud. You seem to not have an understanding of how machine fasteners work.

how many studs have pulled their threads out of the head. What is the proper torque do you think?

Yes you will have the Heli coil or the like to fix the threads in the head as others here have suggested. And if you don't know how to do that properly you will be looking at head replacement if you screw up the heli coil repair and say get the insert in on an angle not straight.

k
I apologize for not using the correct terminology. Yes, I used a M8 X 1.0 die to clean the studs thread. It took a lot of adjusting to line it up.
The top is the one from the first photo in this thread and the bottom is the one I used a die to clean up the threads. Office supplies Line Writing implement Font Electric blue

I believe the torque is 14 ft lbs, correct?
If the right answer is to replace the studs with a uniformly threaded M8 X 1.0 and a corresponding insert, I can go with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your only fix is some kind of thread insert ,I used a heli coil # 770-3093 insert ,you can use these without removing the head . You also use the same stud . Use the cam cap as a guide when drilling to a larger size ,vacuum out the shavings .only drill out the same depth as the stripped hole than retap with the suppled tap ( after tapping as far as you can remove the tap and grind down the tip so you can get the threads down deeper) than install the stainless insert with supplied insert tool snap off the bottom tab and your done . These threads are now stronger than any aluminum threads .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your only fix is some kind of thread insert ,I used a heli coil # 770-3093 insert ,you can use these without removing the head . You also use the same stud . Use the cam cap as a guide when drilling to a larger size ,vacuum out the shavings .only drill out the same depth as the stripped hole than retap with the suppled tap ( after tapping as far as you can remove the tap and grind down the tip so you can get the threads down deeper) than install the stainless insert with supplied insert tool snap off the bottom tab and your done . These threads are now stronger than any aluminum threads .
Thank you Walt

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Make sure that your replacement studs are a strong grade not weak hardware grade. My quick look did not find M8- 1.0 only M8-1.25.

When drilling for insert. cover the exposed head, tape off and have a vacuum running near drill bit to catch chips.

k

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Make sure that your replacement studs are a strong grade not weak hardware grade. My quick look did not find M8- 1.0 only M8-1.25.

When drilling for insert. cover the exposed head, tape off and have a vacuum running near drill bit to catch chips.

k
Will do!
Thank you
I’ve ordered the drill bit and helicoil kit.
I’m looking forward to it😬

1 - 15 of 15 Posts