Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am trying to compile a register of the 102 RHD 1964 2600 spiders built
( Some registers say 103 with one built in 1963 with no chassis number)

Chassis numbers 852001 to 852102

So far I have definately found 31 with a possible 6 more - which is not a bad survival rate.

I also know of three definate deaths

1. Found with a tree growing through it in Wales and scrapped.
2. Dismantled by Piero Pisaro at Alfetta Racing - Reg BMW...... I now have the engine
3. Written off within 5 minutes of leaving the showroom in 1964 by a WVM

If you have a car or know of one please PM details to me . Chassis number, registration colour / condition etc

thanks

Ian

·
Push hard and live
10,196 Posts
"WVM"? whatsit?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wvm

WVM - White van man - responsible for over 50% of RTAs ( Sorry Road Traffic Accidents) in the UK

·
Push hard and live
10,196 Posts
This raises a question I've always had. Do Brits use this sort of acronym because they believe the rest of the world will know what they are talking about, or because they take delight in confounding their listeners?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have dismantled one, about 5 years ago. Dark blue..completely rotten.
I know for onemore which was sitting in a garage near Aachen, Germany. That was 5 years ago. This one was completely welded and was waiting for a new owner.
Was for sale by Michael Hienzsch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One is in Sweden, restored and in nice condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any more info

Superleggera

I have this one 852076 as owned by Clas-Goran Sjoberg ( Sweden) reg JGN 785 1982 owners list - is this still correct?

Schaapm

852044 is listed as Hienzsch, Michael in the 95 US register - do you know where it is now?

Can you remember the chassis number of the one you scrapped?

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ian
I know where Chassis 852074 is...........My back garden!:D
However when I contemplate the restoration work that still needs doing:eek:

By the way I met a chap at a New Years day VSCC meet and he is hoping to organise a UK or South of England get together.. now that could be interesting! Sort of continuing where Eric et al finished up.

Ialso know of a chap local to me who has had 2 spiders recently though he may have sold one on.

Regards
Bryan

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Ian,

There's a guy in Chichester who seems to have a couple. I believe that he and his son have some history with the 2600s, but can't recall his name off the top of my head. He called me a few months ago looking for parts, as he'd just bought another one in poor order. There's a rumour of another couple that have been sitting in a barn near Great Missenden for donkeys years ... heard that one?

Alex.

·
Push hard and live
10,196 Posts
"TLA's"?

I get that ****ney rhyming slang is supposed to be indecipherable to those not born to the tradition. I just wasn't sure it had infected the rest of the land.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alex

Great Missenden - small world - l live in Great Missenden any more details? - I'll start searching the barns!

Rumour I had was Aylesbury ( from Eric H of course) - A guy bought up 4 or 5 Spiders 20 years ago as an investment - sold them at a loss - 20 years to early!

Guy in Chichester is Geoffrey Blake - he has 4 or 5 .

So we have a good chance of a South of England meet

cheers

Ian

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I overheard a brief comment by someone at the National Alfa Day a couple of years ago to the effect that this stash somewhere in Bucks also contained a 2600 Zagato. Do you know of it?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
That must be the one. Perhaps a couple of anecdotes became conflated and it was at that point that I overheard the story.

Incidentally, I bumped into (who I now realise to be) the new owner of this car at Classic Le Mans last summer. Nice guy. Lives somewhere in Devon/Dorset if memory serves me well!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Superleggera

I have this one 852076 as owned by Clas-Goran Sjoberg ( Sweden) reg JGN 785 1982 owners list - is this still correct?

JGN 785 / 852076 canged hands some years ago and is now in the hands of Rolf Carstens in Stockholm who has restored the bodywork and upholstery to very good/high standards. The car is a good runner except for the waterpump which at the moment is laying about in pieces in my workshop awaiting reassembly with new bearings etc.
The car seems to have been fitted with 3 webers since new.
Björn in Sweden

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Björn

Two years ago I was working in Stockholm I could have had a look.

A tip I have heard is a 105 series pump repair kit will fit a 2600 - its just slightly shorter . According to Alpha plus magazine - please check before purchasing .

Cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
That must be the one. Perhaps a couple of anecdotes became conflated and it was at that point that I overheard the story.

Incidentally, I bumped into (who I now realise to be) the new owner of this car at Classic Le Mans last summer. Nice guy. Lives somewhere in Devon/Dorset if memory serves me well!
That'll be me! I enjoyed meeting you too!

The guy I bought the SZ from didn't have any other Alfas, just a rusting Maser Indy that he is still trying to sell.

By the way Alex, can you remember the name of the stand we met on? He had a water pump for sale which I now need!

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Can't remember his name, but he was Dutch and (here's a glimpse into the way my brain categorises information :rolleyes:) he's been mentioned in the past by BB member 'Berlinista' as an excellent source for badges. Perhaps a search might yield results, or send him a PM?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts