Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see pics from time to time of S2 spiders with tiny chrome flush rings around the headlights... like in this pic.

Where these ever used on US cars?

-Raffi

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the rings pictured are the style also used with the Carello(sp?) headlamp covers. There is a photo on pg. 115 of The Illustrated Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide showing Mr. Arturo Renz of ARI behind the wheel of a new 69 boat-tail at Road America. He is showing off the car, not racing, the car has the US markers, US plates along with the headlamp covers, it is difficult to see the rings, but I believe they are there. It is more interesting because the covered lights, to my understanding, were illegal by the then new federal regs.

PS = Your photo looks like it's from a factory period brochure, Alfa went for the models with the Tartan skirts back in the day.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is also another set of rings (I've got a NOS pair) which allow use of the Carello covers with the headlights front-mounted. The car in the photo above is a non-US Spider, though, as evidenced by the small round side marker lamps.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Might it be the Junior that had those rings without the covers? (And is that Piazza Navona?)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Yep. But that is a series 1 junior. (look closely at the windshield wipers and lack of sunvisors) I believe all non-US '66-'70 roundtails had headlights mounted from behind the fender and the thin stainless rings. The juniors just didn't get the covers.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the rings pictured are the style also used with the Carello(sp?) headlamp covers.

PS = Your photo looks like it's from a factory period brochure, Alfa went for the models with the Tartan skirts back in the day.
Looks like the rings on my '74 with Carello covers.

(And for the record....I went for the models with the Tartan skirts too :D:D)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep. But that is a series 1 junior. (look closely at the windshield wipers and lack of sunvisors) I believe all non-US '66-'70 roundtails had headlights mounted from behind the fender and the thin stainless rings. The juniors just didn't get the covers.
It´s true. All the euopean series 1 and 2 junior had these headlights without the covers. I think that the car in the picture is a S2 1300

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is also another set of rings (I've got a NOS pair) which allow use of the Carello covers with the headlights front-mounted. The car in the photo above is a non-US Spider, though, as evidenced by the small round side marker lamps.
I'd like to see those...
-Raffi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts