Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know I have a 1971 GTV. I just can't seem to get my arms around it. I have tried to warm up to it, and well, the short of it is, It's for sale. I'm waiting for the title to get back from the state, so it will be in my name. The pics are all over. I'm looking for $5K, trade, or best offer. And for the locals, I can deliver for gas money. So If your interested, let me know.
Thanks for all that have guided me, I just can't feel the Alfa.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was at Cars & Coffee last week, No Alfa's to be found. I was with the Porsche folks, and the Cooper folks, then went looking for you folks, nothing. The car, well its more I have to many cars, and one needs to go. If I get no takers, I'll make the GTV a driver, and sell it later.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was at Cars & Coffee last week, No Alfa's to be found.
Saturday morning at Mozart's on Lake Austin? We had a big turnout of Alfas, a couple of Ferraris, and assorted others.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Cars and Coffee is in Leander the first Sun of the month.
The Alfa group's CnC is the first Saturday of the month at Mozart's.

Maybe this is a sign that it just wasn't meant to be :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess not. If you can't play with all the other kids, why play at all? Leander's Cars & Coffee is a good gathering, good folks, and lots of "Other" Cars. Why not come to it? Just asking. I've gotten a few offers on the car, but nothing I would sell it for. One trade for a 914/6. we'll see.. At worst, I'll end up doing a "driver" out of it, leaning toward gutted race car look. Cheap as possible, then unload it.
Have Fun!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The folks at Fiat of Austin told me they were sending some cars to the Leander deal. I wonder if they made it there. I probably won't go to the Sunday meeting as long as all my Alfa friends are meeting on Saturday morning and it continues to be as much fun as it is. You asked why not? Here's why not: Sunday is family time. Afternoon is too hot for coffee. To me, getting out early on Saturday and getting it done and the rest of the weekend still ahead is the way to go.

If Leander wanted to switch theirs to Saturday morning, we'd probably yield the time.

But the coffee will NEVER be as good. That's not a point that can be argued.

Not everyone can own an Alfa. Not every one wants to own a Porsche. There's nothing wrong with that.

Good luck with the sale. Sounds like the begining of deal that's going to make two people happy.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I guess not. If you can't play with all the other kids, why play at all? Leander's Cars & Coffee is a good gathering, good folks, and lots of "Other" Cars. Why not come to it? Just asking.
As the sign on the gate of Toad Hall (Wind In The Willows) said: Please Go Away. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried.... lol I put it on Eplay twice, first time nothing, second, way low, so I'll be keeping it, going the "track" car route. Now, how reliable is that fuel injection system?, Is there a complete Suspension bushing kit available? I hate getting "by the piece" Weather stripping kit? you get my drift.. (Porsche places sell "Kits" to make life easier) Do you guys have a place to get "used" parts.
Thanks.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
Hey,

1. Spica FI is great. Smooth, economical, reliable and stable. If you know carbs it's a bit mysterious. If you like the sound of roaring carbs it will disappoint, so get a stinger. Go to Wes Ingram's site to get info and manuals on set-up & parts, or see a local mechanic who knows it.

2. Centerline, and probably others, have complete suspension bushing sets. I'm sure the others, IAP, Vicks, etc., would assemble a set at your request. Do you want stock rubber or poly or a mix? Which grade poly where? Do you have a press to do the hard ones (trailing arms, etc.) or will you mangle them?

3. I have never seen a weatherstripping/seal kit but there are not that many pieces to order. Re-Originals has lots of rubber. Mr. Fiat does also. I;m sure a place would assemble a set at your request.

A 2L GT is a sweet car, even in lemon yellow. Can you provide a link to your former ads so we can see the details? Thanks and good luck! Bruce

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
If Leander wanted to switch theirs to Saturday morning, we'd probably yield the time.
Duh, and WHY? Not me. We had that slot for a long time before them. They should do it early and on the 2nd Saturday, if no one else has that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We had that slot for a long time before them. They should do it early and on the 2nd Saturday, if no one else has that.
With all respect to our fine group of local Alfisti, I don't think we're on the radar of the folks who run the Leander CnC, nor do I think the timing of our monthly get together will play into any decisions they might make on the schedule of their event.

I've been to the Leander thing a couple of times. The folks running it seem friendly and well-organized, but to me it's kinda boring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I see, so what makes yours "Exciting"? I have to ask. I sit with the Porsche folks, and visit with the other groups. I see Lambo's, Ferrari's, and Fiats there. I just don't understand that's all. Lets face it, Porsche folks can be very persnickety, I don't get it..

·
Registered
720 Posts
I see, so what makes yours "Exciting"?
I don't know about "exciting", but what makes the Mozart's gathering worthwhile and enjoyable (i.e., not kinda boring) to me are: a great drive out there and back (620 => 2222 => Mt. Bonnell => Pecos => Enfield); a varied collection of mostly older, and sometimes wacky European and British cars that show up; a great group of mostly low key, interesting, and knowledgeable car guys to hang out with; and good coffee and decent breakfast tacos in a nice setting on Lake Austin.

This might make an interesting standalone thread: what makes a car event interesting and worthwhile?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
It's pretty much marque-specific for the exchange of relevant car info, a very nice bunch of folks (don't allow posers), and there is a large core group of good friends. Plus all that Dean said. If that doesn't appeal to you then there's always elsewhere. I'd like to make Leander sometime with some of the other Alfisti. And crash the Fiat dealer some time. And there are several charity events and fund raisers that some of us attend (Bee Caves Library, Cars for a Cause, La Grange Aeronautics group, etc.).

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I see, so what makes yours "Exciting"? I have to ask. I sit with the Porsche folks, and visit with the other groups. I see Lambo's, Ferrari's, and Fiats there. I just don't understand that's all. Lets face it, Porsche folks can be very persnickety, I don't get it..
You are quite right not to get it. Mozart's is a terrible place to meet. The coffee is always flat and overcooked, the pastries and tacos not worth mentioning, the service indifferent if not outright hostile, while the clientele consists of a bunch of aging yuppies indulging their deficating pets! It's a truly awful place. Fetid even. I can't imagine why anybody in their right mind would even consider going there.

And then there's the Alfiesti. In the old days the US Alfa factory guys used to refer to Alfa enthusiasts as a-l-f-e-c-e-s. And with good reason. I mean, really, the only people who go there are a bunch of uninteresting losers who sit around endlessly talking about these irrevelent old Italian cars. The real action is at Leander where the truly interesting cars and people go.

Nothing to see here, now please move along . . . :)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
Now you even have me wondering why I would go to Mozart's . . . Yuck!

·
Registered
259 Posts
LOL.

Yes, most of the "Alfeces" have been kicked out of (or scorned) by every other God recognized motor club including the Ferrari club, with a forum thread on where the hood latch is located, and the Porsche club, with a forum thread reminding that the engine is in back, where the trunk belongs. I love my reject Alfisti gearhead compadres, even if I am not completely and deservedly one myself, because a. they don't give a sh*t if you've got grease under your fingernails, and b. they'll give you the shirt off their back, unless they need it for their next engine rebuild. Bad coffee? I love it. :)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
Or to mop up coffee (or a margarita) some lughead spilled across the table.

Beware, after us, it's the Rambler Owners Club . . .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts