Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it too soon to buy race tires for Summer use. I heard it's best to buy them with in 100 days out from when you need them? But don't want them to be "on back order when I need them.

Just curious when others start to buy their new race tires for the up coming season?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Mine are sitting in my basement. Bought a set of NITTO's! Got great reviews, and good price. Can't wait to get them on my Fetta and tear up the roads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
a trick we used to use in karting was submerge them in water, so the rubber doesn't go off (before & during race weekends), although this may be a little harder with proper sized tyres!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ordered them

I talked to a Tire Rack and they said the 205/50/15 R6 Hoosiers are a popular tire and size, they recommended not to wait till Spring to order them. To play it safe I ordered them today.

Plan on putting them in black plastic trash bags, sealing them up tight and putting them in the wine cellar :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
The date the tire was built is more important. If it is a DOT tire it has a code on the side for week and year. Ask this and get tires built in late 10. Heat is the biggest problem storing tires and No sunlight is required. So if they sat in an un-air conditioned warehouse last Summer pass. I put mine in black trash bags in my office at home...with a lot of issues from my wife!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey it's your room..........:D

It was interesting to read that they don't like to be frozen either Tire Rack recommends to consider this when buying/shipping . I never thought I be watching the weather channel to see if it's warm enough to ship.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Murray,

I would buy new tires now. Hoosier makes their tires in small batches; making new ones for each calendar year, and has an end of season sale each fall to sell off the old tires. A big issue for "R Compound" or pure race tires is the number of heat cycles. I have been told that the rubber doesn't complete the chemical (vulcanization?) process until after it is manufactured, and is heat cycled. Some people track the number of heat cycles and compare this to performance (the more cycles, the harder the tire becomes). The Hoosier A6 and R6 are said to loose performance before the tread is worn (or they wear through to the cords). I have heard this is as low as 50-60 heat cycles, although I use my A6's until I just barely see a spot of cords. At this point, the performance has fallen off significantly.

I buy at least one set of A6 Hoosiers per year, but am still using the R6's I bought for the last Tulsa Alfa convention. I keep these stored in black plastic garbage bags until each year's convention time trial event. As you know when using the R6, as they get older, it takes a lap or two to come up to temperature, and it will be interesting to see how long this takes at Putnam Park this July (I certainly got my money's worth from these tires).

To carry this to extremes, I have heard that some highly competitive Formula Ford racers only heat cycle a tire twice; once for practice, once in a race, then sell the tires to people with a lower budget.

Is it too soon to buy race tires for Summer use. I heard it's best to buy them with in 100 days out from when you need them? But don't want them to be "on back order when I need them.

Just curious when others start to buy their new race tires for the up coming season?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My old ones only have 8-9 heat cycles but that was back in 2008. I'll be using them again before your convention but wanted fresh meat for the beating I'll be putting on JohnM and Budsy at the convention's TT. :D:D:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Acually new race tires are their best at around 5 - 8 heat cycles. After that it is a steady decline in performance. That is why professional teams are scrubbing in tires all day Friday and Saturday so they can completely cool for 24 to 48 hours at best before they use them on Sunday.

For more info you should have your tires shaved to 4/32nds if they come with more tread. They will grip better and last longer. Less tread squirm means less heat which means they last longer. Counter intuitive but when I say last longer that does not mean the tread lasts longer but that they stay sticky and usable longer. We cannot run Hosiers and must use DOT tires in vntage racing so they have too much tread.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I thought that some Vintage sanctioning bodies allowed the bias ply "Hoosier Street TD". And, ridiculous as it seems, the Hoosier A6 is DOT legal (A = Autocross, R = Race). I'm not sure about R6; mine are bundled up in plastic bags.

And, I'm guessing that the heat cycle issue is somewhat tied to the tire compound. Hoosier A6 are said to be too soft to run more than a couple of track laps without overheating, although someone on this board suggested they might be good for a qualifying tire. They are considered scrubbed after less than one autocross run.

Acually new race tires are their best at around 5 - 8 heat cycles. After that it is a steady decline in performance. That is why professional teams are scrubbing in tires all day Friday and Saturday so they can completely cool for 24 to 48 hours at best before they use them on Sunday.

For more info you should have your tires shaved to 4/32nds if they come with more tread. They will grip better and last longer. Less tread squirm means less heat which means they last longer. Counter intuitive but when I say last longer that does not mean the tread lasts longer but that they stay sticky and usable longer. We cannot run Hosiers and must use DOT tires in vntage racing so they have too much tread.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I thought that some Vintage sanctioning bodies allowed the bias ply "Hoosier Street TD". And, ridiculous as it seems, the Hoosier A6 is DOT legal (A = Autocross, R = Race). I'm not sure about R6; mine are bundled up in plastic bags.

And, I'm guessing that the heat cycle issue is somewhat tied to the tire compound. Hoosier A6 are said to be too soft to run more than a couple of track laps without overheating, although someone on this board suggested they might be good for a qualifying tire. They are considered scrubbed after less than one autocross run.
Yes, we allow the Street TD but not any other Hosiers. Trying to contain cost for everyone to be able to go fast and a reasonable price. Since we can't run Hosiers I am not sure about those tires?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yes, we allow the Street TD but not any other Hosiers.
Steve, I think what you mean to say is that your group doesn't allow the R6/A6 DOT "cheater" slicks. That is also true of VSCDA and SVRA. But Hoosier also makes the Speedster treaded radials, which is common in many organizations. Oh yeah, didn't you also say that CVAR now allows Hoosier Dirt Stockers as rain tires?:D

As for heat cycles, everything I have ever been told (and experienced) says that a race tire will be at it's fastest the first time you use it. Heat cycling a new tire won't make it faster, but will make it nearly as fast for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Steve, I think what you mean to say is that your group doesn't allow the R6/A6 DOT "cheater" slicks. That is also true of VSCDA and SVRA. But Hoosier also makes the Speedster treaded radials, which is common in many organizations. Oh yeah, didn't you also say that CVAR now allows Hoosier Dirt Stockers as rain tires?:D

As for heat cycles, everything I have ever been told (and experienced) says that a race tire will be at it's fastest the first time you use it. Heat cycling a new tire won't make it faster, but will make it nearly as fast for a longer period of time.
Yes, Eric changed our rules for rain tires:p And correct on the R6/A6. As for heat cycles mine hold their times the 2nd time out through about the 5th time and then start dropping off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts