Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a little issue here. i start my car then it takes a few seconds for the fuel and oil gauges to pop to life. then the car dies.

when are the gauges supposed to come on? are they when the key gets turned? i hear my fuel pump going, but dash is dead until after car has been running for a second or two.

67 spider with engine out of 68

thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
10,636 Posts
when are the gauges supposed to come on?
All of the gauges get power when you turn the key to "on". The oil pressure and temperature gauges won't move (much) until the engine is running, because there isn't any oil pressure or hot coolant. But the fuel gauge should come to life as soon as you turn the key. The electrical system of a '67 Alfa has no idea whether the engine is running or not - modern cars have a crank angle sensor that tells the computer that the engine is turning - but in 1967 that was the stuff of science fiction.

then the car dies
So you're saying that the sequence is:

- Turn on the key. Hear the electric fuel pump immediately but the fuel gauge doesn't move.
- Start the engine
- After a couple of seconds the fuel and oil pressure gauges start to register
- Then the engine dies

What happens if you turn the key to "on" and just leave it there? Will the fuel gauge needle ever move?

Do the engine dying and the fuel gauge starting to register, happen at the same time (not that I have any idea what could cause that) ?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
What happens if you turn the key to "on" and just leave it there? Will the fuel gauge needle ever move?
And will it move if you lightly tap the gauge or dash? Wouldn't be the first time an Alfa gauge has stuck in the off position.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gauges snap to life in unison. and it seems that right after that the car dies.

i will do some more test on that though

and yes jay that seems to be the sequence

1 - 4 of 4 Posts