Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, there is a fan in front of radiator. it was hot today and the flan did not come on, gauge was between 180 and 260, seems like 220. I turn on a/c and fan also does not come on. am I correct that the fan is triggered by either a/c or after a certain temp? thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,776 Posts
Yes.

There should be a fuse holder with a 20 or 30 amp fuse for the A/C system. Some cars have it located next to the junction box on the left inner fender. If not there, look for a gang of 2-3 relays on the right inner fender - it might be there. Check that fuse.

Trace the wires from the fan itself. Try jumping 12V directly to the fan to see if it will run.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.

There should be a fuse holder with a 20 or 30 amp fuse for the A/C system. Some cars have it located next to the junction box on the left inner fender. If not there, look for a gang of 2-3 relays on the right inner fender - it might be there. Check that fuse.

Trace the wires from the fan itself. Try jumping 12V directly to the fan to see if it will run.
thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update, connector was dirty and I was able to run fan with jump wires. tested the feed connector and nothing. I guess I check fuses from there

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is power on the feed connector when a/c is turned on per light tester. I used jump wires and the fan turned on. I tried cleaning both male and female connectors. Could that be it? Should I just buy new two pin connectors? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
If you haven't used dielectric grease, here's a tip. Don't coat the metal contact with it. Dielectric grease is not conductive! You use it to seal the connection against the elements. It's great stuff and you can buy tubes of it at the parts store. Or you can buy a single use packet at the counter.

One other idea is to clean the contacts with sandpaper or steel wool. You can also use vinegar or lemon juice (some use Coke) to eat away any corrosion too, then neutralize with baking soda. Then clean everything after with denatured alcohol - you want a very clean surface. Dry, then connect and protect with dielectric grease.

Another way to clean is to use the car battery terminal. It's pretty cool and cleans the rust!
1. Make an electrolyte solution with water and Arm and Hammer washing soda. Place in a plastic bucket.
2. Place a piece of steel (not stainless) in the solution and hook up to the positive terminal from the car battery (or battery charger). A coat hanger works well.
3. Put the piece you want cleaned in the solution and hook up to the negative terminal from the car battery. Let it sit for an hour or so and check if it's clean. If not, let it go for another hour.
4. Rinse, neutralize with baking soda, rinse again and it's ready.

I hope this helps.

Greg

·
Administrator
17,776 Posts
Greg, I've never had a problem related to coating the metal contacts. Yes, dielectric grease is insulating. But it will not interfere with a properly tight connection. Properly tight means snug metal to metal contact. The dielectric grease will be displaced from the metal to metal contact and protect the connection from oxidation.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Hi Eric,

For his application, you're right. As long as the metal is making good contact, he'll be okay. I have had a couple instances where a low voltage, low current sensor gave bad readings. Emissions is a good example. My friend who is an old school mechanic told me to connect the terminals, then put dielectric grease over the connection to protect from the elements. I've been doing it this way since.

A little off subject, but I was told to never use silicone dielectric grease as plumbers grease. Yes, I've done this in the past and a plumbing friend told me not to, because it's not approved by the plumbing code. It has to do with it contaminating clean water.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello again, I am stumped and need advice how to proceed. Here's what I did:
1) I cut the connectors since they were pretty bad and was planning to replace
2) I tested fan by connecting it straight to a battery and the fan turned on
3) voltage on feed wire read about 13.6 volts when i turn the A/C on
4) but when i connect the wires directly (without pigtail connectors) fan does not run

My electrical skills are very limited so I don't know why the fan does not turn on from feed wires when there is voltage.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The two relays are bad? As you can see I had to replace one of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone tell me if the cooling fan is supposed to turn on if the a/c is on or does it only trigger if engine reaches a certain temp? I got it to work but only turns on at a certain temp, like 190. If the engine is below that temp it will not go on even if AC is on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Always on with AC on. Otherwise above a certain temp.
Thank you. When I turn the AC on I get 13 volts on the feed but the fan doesn't turn on until it reaches temp. Oh well I'll figure it out later. at least it now goes on while sitting in traffic. Thanks for diagram.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts