Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to gain a little more knowledge on tires, because I almost killed myself last night. I was comming home from a friends house (at night, chilly out), hopped on the freeway, and there is a long mellow turn that can be taken pretty fast. I'm comming around this turn and my car lets loose, real bad. I recovered the gtv, and a second later it let loose again, worse then the first time.

I've been dwelling on this for 2 hours already. Maybe my tires were not warmed up? But I've tested my tires cold and warm, have not experienced something like that. Since it was chilly maybe the road was moist? Maybe I ran over a puddle of oil?

Anyways, do you think it was the tires not being warm? Speak out.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I bet there is something to do with the temperature and the moisture on the road. Maybe some oil or some kind of dirt.

And the moisture might turn the oil on the road surface into a film of oil (the most dangerous)

Sniady, what brand and model of tires do you have on your GTV?

I almost killed (well... hurt) myself on my bike one night heading home from school. It was cold, it was moist (with fog), and I was tired.
I was going pretty slow (about 40) and leaning for a turn, all in a sudden the rear tire let loose and then the front tire. Almost got high-sided when I tried to recover it. After that, no more cold tires leaning for me. :rolleyes: I always warm my tire up before I do anything now.

It's kinda fun to power slide when the tires are cold though
:D My dad told me that can help to warm up the tires too!! :D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Re: Re: When do tires take effect?

Sniady said:
Yokohama AVSi
Is that the very famous one that has been discontinued recently?
I've never tried that tire myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about that tire.
That tire does require a little bit of warmup to get into maximum grip, maybe it was too cold that night. The tires were cold and your tire pressure was also a little bit low due the temp.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sniady said:
I want to gain a little more knowledge on tires, because I almost killed myself last night. I was comming home from a friends house (at night, chilly out), hopped on the freeway, and there is a long mellow turn that can be taken pretty fast. I'm comming around this turn and my car lets loose, real bad. I recovered the gtv, and a second later it let loose again, worse then the first time.

I've been dwelling on this for 2 hours already. Maybe my tires were not warmed up? But I've tested my tires cold and warm, have not experienced something like that. Since it was chilly maybe the road was moist? Maybe I ran over a puddle of oil?

Anyways, do you think it was the tires not being warm? Speak out.
Did you lift the throttle in the middle of the turn? It doesn't get that cold around here that a street tire like the AVSi would stay cold for very long I wouldn't think... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I didn't lift off the throttle. I was accelerating. I don't have the slightest idea what happen. I guess the car has a mind of it's own.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
what happened

what freeway were you on? i know that this happens on the 101 west/405 north interchange. i go through there a few times a week and it unsettles my car every time. it's because of the road. if thats not what it is, SLOW DOWN.
anthony

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you know everything?

I don't understand, you know where every single Alfa in the valley is (even in the middle of no where), and now you know exactly the interchange I almost spun on. :confused:

It was the 405 onto 101 west. I've taken this route many times, but it just let loose that night. "Unsettles my car everytime", time to watch it on that curve.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

That sounds pretty scary! What the hell is it about that interchange? Is Alfa_Chan out there spreading crisco on the asphalt? :D

I have my fun spots here in the LBC. Sliding on metal strips on a bridge that curves at the beginning of the 710. Or the unstable metal grating of the terminal island freeway draw bridge. Then there's sliding fun to be had on the wet rubber around the blue line tracks. I just remembered learning how to do "rockford" slides in the convention center parking lot in a rental when I was sixteen.

I am a city driver and I am easily amused.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
How I Know Everything

I drive about 40K-50K miles a year (not counting racing miles). Be careful out there.

Look out for the 118east/405 north interchange. At the top of the loop when you get onto the 405, there is a change from asphalt to concrete. It unsleetles the car when going fast, especially in the rain, I know that one from personal experience.

Another interchange to look out for is the 10 west/405 north. I have bent a rim and cracked and oil pan there (good thing for spare parts and shop access). There is a nasty dip there right in the middle of both lanes. I feel it when I go through there in my truck so you can just imagine in a lowered Alfa going twice as fast as the "beast" (my truck)
Anthony

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi Snidy (sp)? Sorry
Well I am am still learning this site and read before you get about 20K on your AVS I. I live about 6 hour north, but have alot of exper. with sticky tires on street and road courses. be for our loved AVS I used to run Yoko 008r on my 67 super and a 87 Honda CRX si but thay got fazed out so off to AVS I had to go. The 008s lasted me aabout 3 to4 Thousand and the avs i s lasted about 7 to 8 thousand miles, Here is what may of also happened to your car going off so soon; If the tire has a lot of hard runs (Hot tire temps) and is parked then again The tire gets harder and then sides differantly. and if I got 8 thousand on the tire in less than a year its still pritty good, But if it took me over a year to maybe 2 years the tire was not up to par, it was a real bear to do full 4 wheel drifts and feel totaly confident, untell extramly warmed up.
Thats what i live about AVS I a new set (shaved or not) is always better than an old set.
So if thay had a lot of temp changes and were 2 years old that (Iam sure) helped your car get unsetled. A old racer buddie form the ealy 80s went out on the track with us some time ago and thought with his new old stock 008s were going to be fast. Well his 2000 cc GTV could not even come close to my lap times in a 1300cc alfa with AVS i and almost slid out after 1 turn thinking that it would be easy to keep up with my street car. so use em up or slow down, but old tires for us is unsafe as you have felt. Thas what I think
Cheers
peter

·
Registered
982 Posts
Simon,

This reminds me of the time I spun out getting
on the southbound 405 at Sunset.
Me and a pal went to a bachelor party at the
Tropicana(mud wrestling place), had a few beers,
but not drunk. Well, getting on the fwy my 78
Spider broke loose, I spun across three lanes
of the 405, and back again to land in a ditch
on the shoulder of the fwy. Managed to not hit
or get hit by any cars, really a miracle.
We tried getting the car out of the ditch, but
basically ended up getting ourselves very muddy.

The CHP showed up, and were a couple of ladies.
One was pretty hot, and my buddy proceeded to try
and make the moves on her. I just wanted to lay
low cause I did not want to deal with a sobriety
test on the side of the fwy.

They called us a tow, got us out. Only light damage
to the passenger door, and a flat. I now take
offramps and onramps at much reduced speeds;)

BTW, my buddy got shot down by the lady cop:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sniady,

The AVSi is a street DOT tire, so a "warm up" period should not exist at all. If you have specific questions about that tire, contact TireRack or where you purchased the tires.
After a weekend at the AROSC driving school, you would be able to figure out exactly what happened on that interchange. The school is priceless. I have been twice and have owned 2 sets of AVSi tires.

Velocess

1 - 16 of 16 Posts