Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
I concur with Alfaloco on getting the bushings and ball joints and an alignment first and this will give you a good baseline.

At the risk of going off on a tangent I will try to explain why the 1750 got a rear antiroll bar and will end with a suggestion. This comes from a talk with Max at Alfaholics. During the 60's Alfa was racing the GTV/GTA in competition. One of the problems was that the rear top pickup point is a little too high and it was negatively affecting roll centers. It was about impossible to change the pickup point on the differential, but they could change the front uprights to improve geometry. When they did this for street cars it caused the cars to oversteer and thus they added a rear sway/antiroll bar.

As far as your springs in a perfect world they should really last forever, they never go into yield and the oscillation are low enough that they will never hit fatigue life. In reality corrosion and other factors will end their lives at some point, but without testing I don't know if they need replacing or not.

A suggestion - if you replace the spring go with a stage one spring kit. These are available from Alfaholics/classicAlfa/ OMP and more. This will drop the front end and change the roll centers and eliminates the need for the rear bar. That along with some good shocks makes a nice handling street car that will not beat you up.

· Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure that makes sense? A rear anti roll bar would increase oversteer, not decrease it.
Not on a 105. It is an easy test, drive a 105 with a bar then disconnect it, you don't even need a test track. Without the rear bar hanging the rear out becomes incredibly easy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts