Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'69 1750 Spider Veloce (Euro)
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1969 Spider 1750 has the original springs. They are covered in surface rust, but seem sturdy. Is there any reason to think that they need to be changed? Neither the front, nor the rear seems to be sagging. Could I expect a significant change in handling if I were to replace them, or should I just focus on replacing all the (original) suspension bushings first? I’ve done most in the rear and now have to do those in the front. The car seems to oversteer at speed in some corners.

· Registered
'69 1750 Spider Veloce (Euro)
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would suggest you focus on the basic consumable suspension components first, such as bushings, shocks, before you turn to springs.
You say there does not seem to be any sagging, so at this point unless you want a new set of springs I would move on.
There are factory specifications you can refer to in order to verify the correct ride height of your Spider.
And you mentioned the oversteer at speed, the 1750 spider did feature a rear anti roll bar as a first on the 105 Spider. I have read that this along with changes in spring rates did diminish some of the understeer that was a characteristic of the original 1600 Duetto, which did not have a rear anti-roll bar.
This may have been discussed in some of your previous posts, but the rear suspension bushings must be in good condition to properly locate the rear axle. If the trunnion bar bushings, and/or the trailing arm bushings are worn and weak, you will experience more oversteer than was designed into the car. I'm not sure about the age of your tires either, but that has a major effect on predictability of handling.
Thanks! I will focus on finishing the bushing replacements for now. The shocks are new from 2020, as are the tires. The rear suspension bushings have all been replaced except for the trunnion-to-diff conical ones and the big trunnion-to-chassis arm ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts