Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grinding noise from the differential of my 75 Spider when letting off on the gas. I have been debating replacing the rear axle with a used one rather than having it pulled apart professionally and hoping it is only the rear pinion bearing and seal. I know that the final drive ratio changed at some point, but can live with that. What I can’t live with is a non limited slip differential. Does anyone know when Alfa changed to a standard LSD on North American spec Spiders?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Your car could have had an engine / drive train swap by the previous owner. Or, Alfa is well know for having gradual or indistinct changes in specification so a late US spec 1750 Spider could have had a LSD during the '71 - '72 model changeover. I bought a new 1750 Spider in June 1971 and it did not have a LSD.

Some history: We were actively autocrossing our new 1971 1750 Spider, but the lack of a LSD was a serious disadvantage compared to the 1972 Alfas with LSD and the SCCA rules didn't allow a dealer modification to install one. Any "option" must have had the capacity of being factory installed so I wrote Alfa USA to see if a dealer "could have" ordered 1971 cars with LSD. I received a letter indicating this was "possible" so I installed a complete rear axle from a 1972 Spider. Viola! I complied with SCCA rules and our 1971 Spider went on to win several SCCA Central Division Autocross Class championships and the 1973 Women's national autocross championship. So just maybe your Spider came from a dealer that actually ordered it with a LSD or somebody did what I did.

I own a 1971 Spider (late 71) that has the 2L motor. It has limited slip.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Your car could have had an engine / drive train swap by the previous owner. Or, Alfa is well know for having gradual or indistinct changes in specification so a late US spec 1750 Spider could have had a LSD during the '71 - '72 model changeover. I bought a new 1750 Spider in June 1971 and it did not have a LSD.

Some history: We were actively autocrossing our new 1971 1750 Spider, but the lack of a LSD was a serious disadvantage compared to the 1972 Alfas with LSD and the SCCA rules didn't allow a dealer modification to install one. Any "option" must have had the capacity of being factory installed so I wrote Alfa USA to see if a dealer "could have" ordered 1971 cars with LSD. I received a letter indicating this was "possible" so I installed a complete rear axle from a 1972 Spider. Viola! I complied with SCCA rules and our 1971 Spider went on to win several SCCA Central Division Autocross Class championships and the 1973 Women's national autocross championship. So just maybe your Spider came from a dealer that actually ordered it with a LSD or somebody did what I did.
I find it interesting how Alfa just winged it when it came to building cars. A couple years ago, someone told me that there was no way my 1971 came with a 2L. So, I thought it was an engine swap - no big deal for me, since it's a driver. Then I read that Alfa did make some 1971's with the 2L. Since the car has a limited slip, I figured that it came that way. I thought it was cool to have a rare 1971 ... that is until I drove one with a 1750!

Late last year, I bought a '71 with a 1750. What a difference! I'm trying to figure out why? The stroke is the same, so the piston velocity is no different. I read somewhere that the 1750 has a lighter flywheel, so maybe? I also read that there's a slight difference in the block or head - though I think it's more about the reliability than the performance. Anyway, I find that the 2L is a nice motor, but the 1750 is magical!

The car I bought in October came with some original documentation. I had no idea, but the Spider is slightly faster than the GTV. Though the difference is small, it's still faster.

Thanks for sharing your autocross wins. Very cool to hear that our little Alfa Spiders were the car to beat!

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I think it’s more that George is the guy to beat, he just happens to be in an Alfa....

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. However my only and wife Dee's 3rd SCCA Solo national championship in our 1971 Spider was way back in 1978; 43 years ago. Good results are a lot harder to achieve today but we're still having fun trying in our '76 Spider(y).
2019 Nationals.png

I think it’s more that George is the guy to beat, he just happens to be in an Alfa....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts