Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does your late S3 have a "lights-on" chime?

At some point during the production of later S3 Spiders, Alfa added a chime that provides a warning when the lights are on and the driver's side door is opened. Papajam confirmed this electrical circuit is not shown in the factory 86-88 diagrams but is shown in the 1990 factory diagram. My '88 Spider and his '89 definitely have the chime. The question is when did Alfa make this change? If you own an S3 Spider with the mono-pod instrument cluster, could you reply with the year of your car and whether or not you have this chime? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just checked. My 87 makes the same bing-bing-bing chime if the lights are on, no key in the ignition, and the drivers door is opened, as it does when starting the car.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Thanks Michael!

Question for you; does your fusebox have bullet or blade style fuses?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your late S3 have a "lights-on" chime?

Thanks for your reply Michael. In the interest of accurate documentation, vital for troubleshooting, I hope others follow suit.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Interesting.

The dual pod had two chimes:
One for key in ignition w/door ajar and one for seatbelt not buckled when key was turned on (timed)
Both operate off the same drivers door switch, while the other drivers door switch deals with curtesy lights.

I wonder if the changover was because people are more apt to walk away and leave the lights on than they are to walk away with the key still in the ignition?
(I know that's why I changed mine to that arrangement anyway :))

·
Registered
860 Posts
My 89 Spider has two door switches on drivers side, upper for interior lights, bottom for lights on & key in ignition.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Marc. Looks like the change may have occurred between May and November of 1986. I think I missed with the title of this thread... it is a bit of a yawner. Maybe we can still get a few more folks to weigh in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts