Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to customize my 84 Spider via wheels. Have considered panasports or MOMO Vega's. Anyone have good suggestions? How about Enkei 92's or BWA's? Would love to see pics of the car/wheel combo. Thanks guys (and gals).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hell...get the CHROMODOROS...as on the early spyders.. they are great looking, and weigh only about 4 - 5 pounds. Unsprung weight is very important in the handleing of any car. CAMPONOLO also makes great rims for the early, and later spyder. I have the chromodoros...and love them .....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don,
Aren't the CROMODORAS the stock 5 point I have on my car now or are they a lighter version? From all the threads above here seems to be about 5-6 different varieties people go for. I have seen older model Campy's, for the 70s Spiders. What makes my 84 tough is the unsightly rear rubber tail-seems any wheel option has to account for that. The 5 point or the mini-lites seem to look best overall but there are other wheels I prefer on their own.
Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
As I said, I have the finned cromodoro's from a series 1 racing Alfa...the weight is about 5 pounds give or take a few ounces. They were completely restored, and I am a very happy camper. The car now handles better than stock...only thing I added were KONI's front and rear. The donor car was a 79..I think My spyder is an 86...so I also bear the stigma of a rear spoiler...but I can live with it until I get the repaint...It is RED, of course...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dark is faster than light per Bell labs "Dark Sucker Theory "
"Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand
in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open
the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since
the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the
closet."

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think part of the problem of finding decent aftermarket wheels for the Spider is that most modern wheels were designed with a negative scrub radius in mind. So when fitting contemporary wheels, they end up looking like they were for a front wheel drive car.

Having said that, I think that the ones that look the best tend to have spokes with a flatter design rather than a curved one, as most aftermarket performance wheels have. Then there is the issue of them looking to large/cartoonish for the body design/tire opening. Perhaps by going with an all black wheel, the large diameters won't stand out as much, yet allow you to use contemporary tires!

·
Registered
372 Posts
pony wheels

I saw a nice set of pony wheels from a 93 mustang, 16 inch aluminum in CL for $200. I was playing with photoshop to see how it would look. Backspacing, lug pattern, and width seem close on paper, but i dont know if it would really work?

I plan to strip and refinish my Campys, but dont want to rush it and dont want the car out of commision that long.

Whatdayathink?

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
I saw a nice set of pony wheels from a 93 mustang, 16 inch aluminum in CL for $200. I was playing with photoshop to see how it would look. Backspacing, lug pattern, and width seem close on paper, but i dont know if it would really work?

I plan to strip and refinish my Campys, but dont want to rush it and dont want the car out of commision that long.

Whatdayathink?
Not bad, although I think that the spokes are a bit too thick. Don't these wheels have a 5 bolt pattern?

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,698 Posts
I have the 15" Mustang turbines on my Berlina. They do require boring out the hub, but are cheap and plentiful, and I feel they fit in with the original Turbina theme.

I used to run the Campy stars on my spider, not the OEM 80's version, but the much nicer, earlier version with a wider offset.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Other Usual Suspects

Whatdayathink?
I used this Wille R. Duetto crossover list to help get some Saab 900 steel wheels off CL for $50. I am painting these up with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator (black inside, silver outside) to replace my phone dials which have some DPO finish issues (gold underneath the flaking silver). These wheels are much lighter and seem to dry fit just fine, though offset makes them a little more inboard I think. Will post pics when I get them mounted with those Falkens I bought last year. They're sorta GTA'ish with the holes they have.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,698 Posts
I love the Saab steel wheel idea. Where's the crossover list?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry

I love the Saab steel wheel idea. Where's the crossover list?
My bad :eek:...it's buried in Mech Index #1 : Rims for your Alfa. The Ford Focus application is pretty helpful in giving a more modern, expanded, selection at say, Tire Rack methinks...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts